Contango Preferent - KWPN
Tuesday, August 15, 2017
Contango was a legend in his own time, as a sire and a performance horse. He began his career as the champion of his 100-day test in Medingen in 1991 with a score of 146.89. He won both the dressage and jumping portions to claim the championship, and finished with one of the highest overall scores of all time.
Contango had a successful career as a show jumper in the Netherlands before switching to dressage. As a dressage horse, he won 33 Grand Prix classes, including six championships.
At the time of his passing, he was the only Preferent stallion in North America. This honor is awarded to the few stallions that demonstrate outstanding individual qualities and produce exceptional get. Contango has become well known for offspring competing both in Grand Prix dressage and show jumping.
His sons and daughters inherit their sire’s athletic ability, movement and versatility. Son Ravel made history with his clean sweep at CHIO Aachen and his victory in the 2009 Rolex FEI World Cup Dressage Finals.
Contango Performance Achievements
• Dressage at Devon Winner Grand Prix
• ABIG/USDF Region I Finals Champion Grand Prix
• CBLM Finals Champion Grand Prix and Grand Prix Freestyle
• 33 Grand Prix wins
• 6 Grand Prix Championships
• 1991 Champion of 100-Day Test at Medigen, Germany
• Ranked #4 (Out of 1,191) Leading Sire of Dressage Horses, USEF, 2012
• Ranked 2nd KWPN Breeding Values Report, Dressage Stallions, 2012
• 5 Approved Sons: Citango, Maestro, Don Tango, Ravel and Feel Good
• 98 Star Sons and Daughters, 4 Keur mares, 2 Crown Geldings in North America
• Nearly 80 First Premium foals
• Grand Prix dressage offspring Ravel, New Tango, Royal Tango, Nanou, Maverick, Madorijke, Carrera, Maestro, Show Time, May Fair, Now I’m Here
• Grand Prix show jumping offspring Maroon, Minneavera, Newton, Nada Penny, Nouvelle, Vereist Maranci, Mompty and Carousel
• 2008-2012 KWPN-NA Five #1 Top Five Award Winners Beyonce, Citation ISF, Contessa, Daytona ISF, Avanti ISF
• Dressage at Devon winner Get of Sire
• Asther de Jeu, ridden by Edward Gal, winning CDI PSF with scores above 77%, 2013