Markel is the innovator of horse farm insurance. Ever since Markel brought our first package to market over 50 years ago, we’ve enhanced our products and services to meet your changing needs. Markel offers you more than superlative protection; you can depend on an unmatched record of experience, expertise and commitment that have made us the leading name in equine insurance. When your business is the target of a lawsuit, money isn’t the only thing that’s at stake. Your reputation is on the line, too.
Markel has years of experience handling equine liability claims. They’ll ensure that a claim against you is resolved fairly, with consideration for all parties involved.
The application process can sometimes be a daunting task, and we are here to make it easy, so you can spend time with your horses and clients.
We Prove Coverage For:
- Personal Dwelling, Farm-Related Buildings (barns, stables, hay sheds, arenas),Farm Personal Property for farm machinery, tack, equipment, hay and feed, Replacement cost available on buildings and household contents.
- On & Off Premises operations, such as boarding, breeding, riding instruction, training, racing and horse shows
Coverage & Limits Highlights:
- Up to $1 million liability limit available
- Personal liability available for owner occupied dwellings
- Choose from Basic, Broad, or Special coverage options for all property
- Various property deductibles available
- Increased Limits available for contents and loss of use based on value of dwelling.
- General Liability Aggregate limits are 3 times the liability per occurrence limit
- Commercial general liability coverage applies on and off premises in the U.S, Canada, and U.S. territories
- Provides Bodily Injury and Property Damage limits
- Fire Legal liability $100,000 (in most states)
- Medical payments $5,000
- Limited professional liability coverage for horse trainers, riding instructors and clinicians
- Personal/Advertising Injury included
- Products/completed operations included
- No liability deductible
- Defense cost paid in excess of policy limit
- ATV/Golf Cart coverage available for equine operations
- Participants coverage for horse shows
- Horse Sales coverage
- 10% liability credit for approved national association memberships
- Disruption of Farming (loss of income due to covered cause of loss to a stable or barn)
- Livestock Coverage (named perils up to $2,000 per head)
- Coverage for scheduled jewelry, fine art, guns, sports equipment, etc.
- Animal Collision
- Systems Breakdown
- Sign & Entrance Gate coverage up to $5,000
- Excess & Umbrella Liability (with limits up to $10 million)
Care, Custody & Control Coverage
Owning your own horse is a significant emotional and financial investment. Accepting the responsibility of caring for someone else’s cherished and valuable animal is also no
small task. And since standard insurers don’t fully understand the risks you undertake when caring for the horses of others, most general liability policies don’t include this
special coverage. That’s why the extra protection of Markel’s optional Care, Custody Control (CCC) coverage is so important. With CCC, you’re covered if an animal in your
care is injured, becomes ill or dies, and you are found to be negligent. This does not apply to horses you own or lease.
Care Custody & Control provides:
- Defense and court costs for litigation, and payment for judgements up to the aggregate policy amount (per animal limit applies)
- $10,000 liability limit for non-owned horse equipment
- No deductible applies
- Available by endorsement to your General Liability or Farm policy
NOTE: Not all coverages are available in all states. Markel is admitted in all 50 states, and is rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company, Inc.