World's Best Horses and Riders to Converge at the 2011 Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Posted by Classic Communications
Eventing Riders Coming From Around the World 2010 WEG Gold Medal Team Entered in Ariat Kentucky Reining Cup
Lexington, KY—April 13, 2011—It comes as no surprise that the entry list for this year's Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event, presented by Bridgestone, boasts the names of many of the best horses and riders from around the world. A field of entries containing Olympic veterans, past Rolex Kentucky Champions and World Equestrian Games (WEG) veterans will converge on the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, KY, when the Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event, presented by Bridgestone, returns April 28-May 1.
This year, the Ariat Kentucky Reining Cup will debut alongside the Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event and it will feature the world’s best reiners including the four members of the Gold Medal team from last year’s Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games, all of whom are entered to compete.
The Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event is part of the HSBC FEI ClassicsTM and features the world’s best horses and riders vying for their share of $250,000 in prize money as well as a shot at the $350,000 Rolex Grand Slam of Eventing which is awarded to any rider who wins the Rolex Kentucky, Mitsubishi Motors Badminton and Land Rover Burghley Four Star Events in succession.
The only CCI4* in the Western Hemisphere, the Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event features the 14th championship for the U.S. Equestrian Team Foundation Pinnacle Cup, signifying the zenith in Eventing competition in the United States. The event draws 50-100,000 spectators and is seen by millions more on worldwide telecasts including a 60-minute live broadcast on NBC in the United States that will air from 2-3:00 pm on May 1.
As always, spectators at the Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event can look forward to rooting on their favorite horse-and-rider combinations as they compete in the three phases of competition: dressage, cross-country and show jumping.
Those expected to compete during this year's Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event include:
* William Fox-Pitt of Great Britain, an Olympic Silver and Bronze Team Medalist, winner of the inaugural HSBC FEI ClassicTM Series, 2010 Alltech FEI WEG Team Gold and Individual Silver Medalist, and defending Rolex Kentucky Champion
* Mary King of Great Britain, a 2010 Alltech FEI WEG Team Gold Medalist
* Mark Todd of New Zealand, a two-time Olympic Gold Medalist and 2010 Alltech FEI WEG Team Bronze Medalist
* Clayton Fredericks of Australia, a 2008 Olympic Team Silver Medalist and 2006 WEG Individual Silver Medalist
* Karen O'Connor of the U.S, a three-time Olympic veteran, 1999 Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event CCI4* winner and two-time Rolex Kentucky CCI3* winner
* Phillip Dutton of the United States, a two-time Olympic team Gold Medalist for his native Australia and 2008 Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event CCI4* Champion
* Kim Severson of the United States, a three-time Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event CCI4* Champion and 2004 Olympic Team Bronze and Individual Silver Medalist
* Boyd Martin of the United States, a 2010 Alltech FEI WEG team member
* Bruce “Buck” Davidson, Jr. of the United States, a 2010 Alltech FEI WEG team member
* Jil Walton of the United States, a 1992 Olympic veteran
The Ariat Kentucky Reining Cup includes a CRI5*, the sport’s highest level, as well as the first-ever World Championship Freestyle. The CRI5* offers $50,000US in prize money and will be the only Five Star Reining event in the western hemisphere in 2011.
The World Championship Freestyle marks the first time that the title of “World Champion” will be awarded in Freestyle Reining, a consistent crowd favorite. The event’s $25,000US prize money also marks the largest purse for a Reining Freestyle anywhere in the world.
Heading the list of entries are the four riders who led the United States to the team Gold Medal at last year’s Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games:
* Tom McCutcheon, who also won the individual Gold Medal
* Craig Schmersal, who also won the individual Silver Medal
* Tim McQuay
* Shawn Flarida
"In 2010, the world turned its attention to the Kentucky Horse Park for the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games," said Christina Gray, Director of Competition for the Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event. "We are ready for that attention again as we welcome back riders who participated in the Games as well as an impressive roster of Olympians, past Champions and legends in the sports of Reining and Three-Day Eventing."
Further information on the 2011 Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event, Presented by Bridgestone, is available at the Rolex Kentucky website at www.rk3de.org and for the Ariat Kentucky Reining Cup visit www.KentuckyReining.com.
Follow Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event, presented by Bridgestone and the Ariat Kentucky Reining Cup online at:
Posted on May 1, 2017
Posted on Mar 10, 2011
Posted on Oct 26, 2015
Posted on Mar 26, 2012