What is Required of You as an Insured, When Having Your Horse Gelded?

Sunday, August 21, 2022
Posted by



This has been coming up a lot more lately - What is required of you as an insured, when you decide to have your stallion gelded?  

BEFORE having your horse gelded, you need to first contact your insurance agent. Even though having your horse gelded is considered "elective" surgery and is not covered under your medical/surgical coverage - you are still required to notify your insurance agent or company.

Photo: A Vet Prepares a Horse for Gelding at the Berlin Animal Clinic (Getty Image)

Depending on the age of the horse, if both testes are fully descended, and that the procedure is done at a surgical facility will determine whether or not the procedure will be approved and if you will be charged any additional fees to extend coverage during and after the procedure. Coverage would be extended to the mortality portion of the policy, as well as the medical/surgical portion if any complications were to arise.

If you do not notify your agent and something happens, then any claim that may arise can and more than likely will be denied.

MarkelHorsesDaily's Mary Phelps ( is a Markel Equine Insurance Specialist and CSR Tracey Scharf ( provide the personal attention needed to help make the lives of their clients smooth and easy when it comes to the process of insuring your farm, equine business or equine mortality needs. While Mary travels to the shows and barns, you can count on Tracey in the office to be available to answer questions and manage the details with ease. 1-386-985-1429.

This document is intended for general information purposes only, and should not be construed as advice or opinions on any specific facts or circumstances. The content of this document is made available on an “as is” basis, without warranty of any kind. This document can’t be assumed to contain every acceptable safety and compliance procedures or that additional procedures might not be appropriate under the circumstances. Markel does not guarantee that this information is or can be relied on for compliance with any law or regulation, assurance against preventable losses, or freedom from legal liability. This publication is not intended to be legal, underwriting, or any other type of professional advice. Persons requiring advice should consult an independent adviser. Markel does not guarantee any particular outcome and makes no commitment to update any information herein, or remove any items that are no longer accurate or complete. Furthermore, Markel does not assume any liability to any person or organization for loss or damage caused by or resulting from any reliance placed on that content.
*Markel Specialty is a business division of Markel Service, Incorporated, the underwriting manager for the Markel affiliated insurance companies. © 2022 Markel Service, Incorporated. All rights reserved.