DRIVING PONIES | DRIVING DAILY
USEF Combined Driving Pathway Programs 2022
Thursday, March 10, 2022
US EQUESTRIAN COMBINED DRIVING
The Emerging Driver Program was highlighted at the driving town hall as a grant program to support venues and clubs that host beginner driver education and training. To learn more about applying for the program grants, go to the emerging program page.
Developing Driver Program
Developing athletes have participated in multiple clinics this year at the Grand Oaks Resort (Weirsdale, Fla.) with clinicians Tracey Morgan, Larry Poulin, and Taren Lester. The newly appointed athlete advisor, Amber Lester, will continue expanding the Developing Athlete Program (DAP) support by organizing educational opportunities and offering an individual focus on athletes’ programs. Upcoming DAP clinics are being offered with additional clinicians Jacob Arnold, Olof Larsson, and Tor Van Den Berge (NED) in the coming months.
Elite Athlete Program
Elite athlete grants will be distributed in the coming weeks and throughout the year to athletes who have achieved the elite program criteria at USEF and FEI events. US Equestrian recognizes and supports its top driving athletes who invest in maintaining internationally competitive results. Congratulations to the elite athletes and their horse/pony owners for their successes!
Driving Sport Committee Updates and Decisions
- Reviewed the driving town hall discussions and outlined an initial strategy.
- Confirmed that USEF Advanced National Championships belong in the Open Advanced division. (Note: Novice Advanced classes will not be included in National Championships)
- Proposed the 2022 Developing Athlete Working Group to include: Daphne White, Dee Aldrich, Sara Schmitt, Janelle Marshall, Marcie Quist, and Tracy Bowman with Amber Lester as the athlete liaison. This group oversees the Developing Athlete Program for Combined Driving.
- Submitted rule change proposals for the Combined Driving (DC) chapter of the USEF rulebook. Watch for standard rule change proposals and clarifications – the open comment period begins March 15th.
- Submitted rule change proposals to the FEI for the 2023 FEI rule revision process based on athlete, organizer, veterinary, and officials’ feedback.
- Update: USEF purchased live-scoring equipment in 2020 which will be available for USEF competitions once scoring professional Phillippe Liénart (BEL) is able to travel to the U.S. to set-up the system – this project has been delayed several times to due COVID travel restrictions.