Sharn Wordley and Famoso D Ive Z Kick Off Tryon Spring 7 With Victory in $35,000 Horseware Ireland 1.45 Opener
Friday, June 3, 2016
Mill Spring, NC -Sharn Wordley (NZL) and Famoso D Ive Z began Tryon Spring 7 with a strong finish in the $35,000 Horseware Ireland 1.45m Opener at Tryon International Equestrian Center (TIEC), taking the speed stake with a time of 64.33 seconds.
Mark Bluman (COL) and Hold On Tight II captured second place, crossing through the timers in 66.59 seconds, while Christian Heineking (GER) and AJE Cluny earned third place with a time of 67.66 seconds.
Tryon Spring 7 continues with FEI CSI 3* competition this week, highlighting the $130,000 Ariat® Grand Prix CSI 3* on Saturday, June 4, with gates opening at 6:00 p.m. and competition beginning at 8:00 p.m.
Wordley and Famoso D Ive Z, a 2007 Belgian Warmblood gelding (For Pleasure x Radetzky) owned by The Sky Group and Sharn Wordley, made quick work of the track set by Michel Vaillancourt (CAN) to secure the win. The class saw 29 entries test the course while ten combinations finished fault free. Wordley piloted Famoso D Ive Z to an efficient and quick round, which Wordley said will serve as good preparation for the rest of the week ahead.
"I went in with a plan to go as quickly as I could because I knew there were some really fast ones in the class behind me. I had to start fast to begin with because there's always a lot of speed demons coming in behind you," laughed Wordley. "I got lucky because there were a few that were pretty fast combinations in here today, but they ended up having rails."
Impressed with the course design by Vaillancourt, Wordley spoke about the track and how he felt he sealed the win, stating, "Michel's courses are always great. It was technical, but smooth. You can always ride it well. It was a great course and it had a lot of options, which is what allows you to find different ways to win."
As for Famoso D Ive Z, Wordley has taken his time getting to know the gelding, as he was only purchased in late fall of 2015. According to Wordley, he can be a bit quirky, so establishing a routine and instilling a sense of confidence has been important over the course of their partnership.
"I got him at the end of the fall and he has been really good. He's a really good horse and he's only nine, but he can be a bit spooky at everything," said Wordley. "It's taken him a while to really concentrate, but he seems to now be feeling more comfortable and is starting to focus. He's going to be a really good horse. He's fast and he's careful."
"I think he has a lot of potential to be a real great horse at the top levels. He's going to do the 1.50m class tomorrow and then on Sunday we have him aimed at the $25,000 Grand Prix too," he continued.
Wordley is coming off of a strong winter campaign at the Winter Equestrian Festival (WEF) and will look to continue that form through the summer season. With a growing string of top level mounts, he will look to continue securing top placings in the FEI ranking classes, while also giving his greener horses an opportunity to gain experience in the ring.
"Barnetta is feeling a bit fresh this week, but the plan is to jump all three ranking classes including Saturday night with him and then Auckland De L'Enclos will also do the 1.50m class tomorrow as well," commented Wordley. "I have a great string and they've all been going very well to this point in the season. I'm looking forward to what we have in store."
"This is an amazing facility and the prize money is just fantastic. It is a lot of weeks here and if you can manage to stay focused during each week, it becomes a very competitive facility for all of the riders," he added.
Tryon Spring 7 continues at TIEC this week and will conclude on Sunday, June 5. Tryon Spring 7 is set to host the $130,000 Ariat® Grand Prix CSI 3* on Saturday, June 4, with gates opening to the public at 6:00 p.m. and competition beginning at 8:00 p.m. General admission and parking are free! For more information please visit www.tryon.com.
Final Results $35,000 Horseware Ireland 1.45m Opener
1. FAMOSO D IVE Z, 2007 Belgian Warmblood gelding by For Pleasure x Radetzky SHARN WORDLEY (NZL), The Sky Group & Sharn Wordley: 0/64.33
2. HOLD ON TIGHT II, 2009 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Cassini II x Tulipe MARK BLUMAN (COL), Stransky's Mission Farms, Inc.: 0/66.59
3. AJE CLUNY, 2004 Oldenburg gelding by Cash & Carry x Dorina CHRISTIAN HEINEKING (GER), AJE Equitation: 0/67.66
4. BARNETTA, 2004 Westphalian gelding by Baloubet du Rouet x Polydora SHARN WORDLEY (NZL), Sky Group: 0/68.65
5. TEIRRA, 2000 Dutch Warmblood mare by Tolano van het Riethof x Oldatussa ALISE OKEN (USA), Hi Hopes Farm, LLC: 0/68.88
6. ANABELLE 28, 2006 Belgian Sporthorse mare by Kashmir van't Shuttershof x Tabelle BENJAMIN MEREDITH (AUS), Shader Sporthorses LLC: 0/72.06
7. HILTON VAN DE BREEPOEL, 2007 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Contact VD Heffinck x Ubiene BRITTNI RAFLOWITZ (USA), ESI Show Jumpers, Inc.: 0/73.08
8. CORNET'S GOLD 2, 2005 Westphalian gelding by Cornet Obolensky x Dinah L KYLE TIMM (CAN), Apex Equestrian Center: 0/74.09
9. HECTOR BY PICOBELLO, 2007 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Contact VD Heffinck x Arlaude-V ILAN BLUMAN (COL), Daniel Bluman: 0/77.72
10. QUABELLE, 2004 Selle Francais mare by Helios de la Cour II x Ba Belle van't Roosakker BLYTHE MORANO (USA), Riverview Farm, LLC: 0/78.37
11. BUTTON SITTE, 2007 Belgian Warmblood stallion by Ogano Sitte x Riviera Sitte RICHIE MOLONEY (IRL), Equinimity LLC: 2/91.6
12. ALSVID, 2001 Hanoverian gelding by Escudo I x Adonca RICHIE MOLONEY (IRL), Equinimity LLC: 4/63.91
Posted on Aug 10, 2015
Posted on Sep 19, 2015
Posted on Feb 23, 2016