ALL EQUESTRIAN | SHOW JUMPING DAILY
Paul O'Shea Flies to First During FEI World Equestrian Games Jumping Test Event
Sunday, October 29, 2017
WORLD EQUESTRIAN GAMES
Mill Spring, NC - Paul O'Shea (IRL) and Skara Glen's Machu Picchu flew through the short-course timers to claim top honors at Tryon International Equestrian Center (TIEC) in the $130,000 Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport Grand Prix CSI 3* in what served as the final Saturday Night Lights (SNL) of the season, and also the first Test Event prior to the FEI World Equestrian Games™ Tryon 2018 for the discipline of Jumping.
Shawn Casady (USA) and Valinski S, a 2002 Dutch Warmblood gelding (Nijinski x Rockina), owned by Wyndmont Inc., stole second place with their jump-off time of 35.105 seconds, while third place honors went to Margie Engle (USA) and Dicas, a 2009 Rheinlander gelding (Diardo x Cassini I), owned by Gladewinds Partners, LLC, for their 35.25 second finish.
The Anthony D'Ambrosio (USA) designed course saw thirty-six entries test the first-round track, while ten pairs returned for the jump-off. Five entries finished double-clear on the evening and O'Shea commented on the course's appropriate level of difficulty.
"It was the perfect course for the three star and Anthony [D'Ambrosio] did a super job building. We had a nice amount of clears and I thought it was a good result," he smiled. "Obviously, it rode great. I'm really happy with it."
O'Shea and the 2007 Dutch Warmblood gelding (Silverstone x Verona H) owned by Skara Glen Stables have been together for three years, said O'Shea. "This horse was on the winning Nations Cup team in Florida this year and went double clear. He's a fantastic horse, great mind, great to ride, and just a lovely horse." With a tough track and competitive riders in the hunt for the victory, O'Shea explained that there were some elements he had to consider carefully. "The triple to the water rode differently than I expected. I thought it was going to ride a little short, but it actually rode long, so that took me a little bit by surprise, but it worked out well," he said.
"The big question was whether to do eight strides to the last fence in the jump-off. It was a long, long way away, and he really locked onto it and jumped it well, but of course that was a chance there to leave out the stride."
Tracy Fenney (USA) was honored with the FEI Leading Lady Jumper Rider Award presented by Meg Atkinson of Town & Country Realtors for her consistent performances in FEI classes throughout the week. Paul O'Shea's grooms Collie Valvidia, Diego Valvidia, and Jose Louis Castro were awarded with the Absorbine FEI Grooms' Award for their dedicated care of the winning Grand Prix mount Skara Glen's Machu Picchu.
The Jumping Test Event is the first of eight that will be hosted at TIEC ahead of the FEI World Equestrian Games™ and is meant to help prepare the venue to host all eight FEI disciplines: Dressage, Para-Equestrian Dressage, Driving, Eventing, Endurance, Jumping, Reining, and Vaulting. The Test Events are not used as qualifiers for the Games. The schedule for the remaining Test Events for the FEI World Equestrian Games™ Tryon 2018 is as follows:
Eventing: April 5-8, 2018 (CIC 3*)
Driving: April 19-22, 2018 (CAI)
Dressage: April 19-22, 2018 (CDI 3*)
Para-Dressage: April 19-22, 2018 (CPEDI 3*)
Endurance: April 26-28, 2018 (CEI 2*)
Reining: May 11-13, 2018 (CRI 3*)
Vaulting: Spring 2018 (CVI 2*)
The final week of the Tryon Fall Series presented by Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport will conclude tomorrow, Sunday, October 29, and will host the $25,000 Tryon Sunday Classic. For more information on TIEC or Tryon Resort, please visit www.tryon.com.
Final Results $130,000 Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport Grand Prix CSI 3*
1. SKARA GLEN'S MACHU PICCHU, 2007 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Silverstone VDL x Matterhorn PAUL O'SHEA (IRL), Skara Glen Stables: 0/0/34.851
2. VALINSKI S, 2002 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Nijinski x Julius SHAWN CASADY (USA), Wyndmont Inc: 0/0/35.105
3. DICAS, 2009 Rheinlander gelding by Diarado x Cassini I MARGIE ENGLE (USA), Gladewinds Partners LLC: 0/0/35.25
4. CASPER, 2006 Oldenburg gelding by Contender x Baloubet Du Rouet SHARN WORDLEY (NZL), Sky Group: 0/0/36.352
5. AIKIDO Z, 2006 Zangersheide gelding by Accardi x Corrado I NICOLA PHILIPPAERTS (BEL), Stal Bijloos BVBA: 0/0/38.445
6. MTM REVE DU PARADIS, 2005 Selle Francais gelding by Crown Z x Adelfos TRACY FENNEY (USA), MTM Farm: 0/4/37.123
7. ARMANI SL Z, 2008 Zangersheide stallion by Azca Z x Cumano EUGENIO GARZA (MEX), El Milagro: 0/4/38.037
8. HH CISKE VAN OVERIS, 2002 Belgian Warmblood mare by Celano x Darco MAGGIE MCALARY (USA), Double H Farm: 0/4/40.459
9. DINGEMAN, 2008 Dutch Warmblood mare by Nintender x Darnels SANTIAGO LAMBRE (MEX), Santiago Lambre: 0/8/34.537
10. CHARLEVILLE, 2007 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Quasimodo Z x Lancelot EVE JOBS (USA), Eve Jobs: 0/RT
11. S & L SAGE, 2007 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Wandor VD Mispelaere x Radiator DAVID RAPOSA (USA), S & L Farms: 1/80.02
12. DINO, 2008 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Vingino x Coriano CAPT. BRIAN COURNANE (IRL), Brian Cournane: 1/80.93
Posted on Oct 15, 2014
Posted on Aug 13, 2016
Posted on Jun 7, 2018
Posted on Sep 11, 2015