Markel Job Search - Equine Mortality Claims Examiner
Thursday, July 1, 2021
As a longtime employee and Equine Insurance Specialist for Markel Corp, I can say first hand what a pleasure, and an honor it is to work for this organization. Recently two openings for an Equine Mortality Claims Examiner, have become available, and I am excited to share this opportunity to qualified individuals interested in a career with Markel. And, this opportunity is open as a Remote Location, meaning you can work from home.
As we continue to grow our top-line, the need for extraordinary claims service has increased. Adding resources to the Equine Mortality Claims team will increase our services to address our growing business. It’s our people who make the ‘Markel Difference’ of quality knowledgable and caring experts, which has always been a part of the ‘Markel Style’.
Barbara Person is currently interviewing for both positions, and if you should have any recommendations for a future Markel associate, please contact Barbara. The job postings can be found here: https://www.markel.com/careers
Please visit this link for a complete description, and tell Barbara, Mary Phelps sent you!
- * Investigates, negotiates and settles Equine cases of varying exposures and complexity.
- Confirms coverage of claims by reviewing policies and documents submitted in support of claims
- Analyzes coverage and communicates coverage positions
- Conducts, coordinates, and directs investigation into loss facts and extent of damages * Directs and monitors assignments to experts and outside counsel
- Evaluates information on coverage, cause of loss, and damages to determine the extent of insured's exposure
- Sets reserves within authority or makes claim recommendations concerning reserve changes to manager
- Negotiates and settles claims either directly or indirectly
- Prepares reports by collecting and summarizing information
- Maintains and adheres to Markel’s guidelines and procedures.
- Adheres to Fair Claims Practices regulations and internal claims quality performance objectives
- Ensures proper adherence to internal large loss reporting requirements.
- Promptly communicate with Claims Manager on adverse case developments and provide information on pertinent issues affecting the lines of business
- Contributes to, and assists in, the implementation of a wide range of initiatives, discussion, and action plans brought forth by the Claims Manager
- Participates in special projects or assists other team members as requested, including participation in the after-hours Equine claims service program
- Communicates with underwriting as needed to manage claims and to alert of any significant developments * Participates in agent related functions and meetings as required
- 3-5 years of professional experience within the insurance claims, veterinary, or equine/livestock industry
- College degree and/or professional designation preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in investigating and determining health issues related to equine and livestock
- Proven success in providing a high level of customer service in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
- Ability to proactively self-manage an active caseload.
- Ability to analyze and convey summations of complex issues; recognize alternative approaches and develop action plans, both orally and in written form.
- Travel required as necessary (less than 15%).