Longines Athina Onassis Horse Show, June 5-7, 2014
Thursday, May 29, 2014
Posted by Véronique WASA (Point Virgule)
17 nations (South Africa, Germany, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Spain, France, Great Britain, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, Ukraine, USA, Venezuela) responded favourably to the invitation of Brazilian rider Alvaro Alfonso de Miranda Neto and his wife Athina Onassis de Miranda, at the head of the event.
Two months before the World Equestrian Games in Normandy, the couples competing will enjoy the Mediterranean sun to perfect their preparation. In the 35 riders participating in the CSI 5*, some great foreign champions will be serious opponents:
- Belgium Grégory WATHELET (World no.21, 4th by team in the World Championships 2006)
Jos LANSINK (World champion 2006), Nicola PHILIPPAERTS (World no.38, European Young Riders champion 2011);
- Brazilian Alvaro Affonso DE MIRANDA NETO (World no.27, team bronze medallist at the 2000 O.G.), Rodrigo PESSOA (Olympic champion 2004, 4th in the World Championships 2010);
- Spanish Sergio ALVAREZ MOYA (11th by team in the World Championships 2010, 10th by team in the Euro 2013, 4th in the 2013 World Cup final);
- British Scott BRASH (World no.1, Olympic team champion and European team champion, bronze medal in the 2014 World Cup final), Ben MAHER (World no.2, Olympic team champion and European team champion);
- German Marcus EHNING (World no.4, World team champion, Olympic team champion 2000), Daniel DEUSSER (World no.7, winner of the 2014 World Cup final, European team vice-champion 2013); Hans-Dieter DREHER (World no.24) Meredith MICHAELS BEERBAUM (World no.40, World team champion);
- Irish Denis LYNCH (World no.32);
- Dutch Gerco SCHRODER (World no.17, Olympic individual champion and Olympic team champion, World team champion 2006);
- Swiss Steve GUERDAT (World no.10, Olympic champion);
- American Laura KRAUT (World no.22, Olympic team champion 2008, World team vice- champion 2006), Reed KESSLER (World no.29, 6th by team at the 2012 O.G.).
The French team will count on some of their best members to compete in the 5 tests with the Longines Grand Prix as the highlight of the event:
- Roger Yves BOST (World no.12, European champion), Simon DELESTRE (World no.16), Pénélope LEPREVOST (World no.14, World team vice-champion), Julien EPAILLARD (World no.46), Aymeric DE PONNAT (member of the winning team of the 2013 Nations Cup Final, 4th by team in the Euro 2013).
Great sport on the horizon…
About THE LONGINES ATHINA ONASSIS HORSE SHOW
Since its first edition in 2007, this prestigious event has become the largest international show jumping event organized in Brazil.
Labeled 5 stars (CSI 5 *), pledge of excellence and athletic performance, this 5 stars event is orchestrated by the Brazilian rider Alvaro Affonso de Miranda Neto, alias "Doda". With his wife, Athina Onassis, to whom he paid tribute by giving her name to the event, Doda settles the CSI 5 * in Sao Paulo for 2 years. After Rio de Janeiro in 2009, the Longines Athina Onassis Horse Show moved to France in 2014, in the beautiful site of Pampelonne beach, associated with the most famous international jet-set and the “Myth of Saint Tropez”.
From 5th to 7th June 2014, the Longines Athina Onassis Horse Show will include two different levels of competition for a total of € 569 000 prize-money. The best riders / horses in the world will compete in the 5 classes of the CSI 5*, all valid for the Longines Ranking, including the Longines Grand Prix with € 300 000 prize-money (Saturday, June 7th, 5:00 pm). 6 classes will be dedicated to amateurs competing in the CSI 2* for a total of sixty riders and 120 horses representing more than 15 nations.
ABOUT JULIUS BAER – GOLD PARTNER OF THE EVENT
Julius Baer is the leading Swiss private banking group with total client assets amounted to CHF 348 billion at the end of 2013. Bank Julius Baer & Co. Ltd., the renowned Swiss private bank with origins dating back to 1890, is the principal operating company of Julius Baer Group Ltd., whose shares are listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange (ticker symbol: BAER) and form part of the Swiss Market Index (SMI), comprising the 20 largest and most liquid Swiss stocks.
Julius Baer is currently integrating Merrill Lynch’s International Wealth Management business outside the US. This will increase the Group’s presence to more than 25 countries and 50 locations. Headquartered in Zurich, we have offices in key locations including Dubai, Frankfurt, Geneva, Hong Kong, London, Lugano, Monaco, Montevideo, Moscow, Singapore and Tokyo. For more information visit our website at www.juliusbaer.com
About LONGINES – TITLE PARTNER OF THE EVENT
Longines has been based at Saint-Imier in Switzerland since 1832. Its watchmaking expertise reflects a strong devotion to tradition, elegance and performance. Longines has generations of experience as official timekeeper of world championships and as partner of international sports federation. Known for the elegance of its timepieces, Longines is a member of the Swatch Group Ltd, the World’s leading manufacturer of horological products. With the winged hourglass as its emblem, the brand has outlets in over 130 countries.
Posted on Aug 6, 2013
Posted on Mar 31, 2017
Posted on Oct 12, 2013