Lisa Wilcox and Galant Take Second Win Under the Stars
Sunday, January 15, 2017
Wellington, FL - The 2017 Adequan® Global Dressage Festival (AGDF) ended its second day of competition at the Palm Beach International Equestrian Center (PBIEC), in Wellington, FL, with the "Friday Night Stars" FEI Grand Prix Freestyle CDI-W, presented by the AMCI Group to benefit Brooke USA. Wowing the crowd with yet another show-stopping performance was the winning combination of Lisa Wilcox (USA) and mount Galant.
Week one of the AGDF, the Lloyd Landkamer Memorial presented by the AMCI Group to benefit Brooke USA, will conclude on Sunday, January 15, with the FEI Intermediate I Freestyle. The circuit resumes January 20-22 with the CPEDI 1*/2*/3* Para Dressage. The 2017 AGDF hosts seven CDI events, two CPEDI competitions, and national shows through March 25.
Lisa Wilcox and Galant, a 2006 Belgian Warmblood gelding (Escuro x Bellisima) owned by Jacqueline Shear, had another impressive day today, topping the leader board in their second performance of 2017 and earning a score of 77.209% for their Justin Timberlake and "Trolls" movie soundtrack-themed freestyle in the Global Arena. Awards were also presented to the owner of Galant, Jacqueline Shear, and groom Bibi Diaz.
Commenting on her freestyle, Wilcox said, "I knew that he (Galant) liked it, so I was hoping that that would show up in the arena tonight. It brought a bit of confidence because he recognized the music, he was having fun, and he totally focused on me and what we were doing."
Of Galant, she said, "I'm so proud of him. I'm just so proud of where we have come from last year to this year."
Team Canada saw some strong performances for the night and rounded out the top three placings. The duo of Megan Lane (CAN) and Caravella, a 2001 KWPN mare (Contango x P. Riviera x Riverman) owned by Lane, scored an impressive 75.967% putting them in second place.
Lane described her goals for the season with Caravella, "It's been an amazing journey with this horse and at both stages of our lives. It's still growing. I'm excited for the future, I have plans on going to the World Cup so I look forward to that."
Brittany Fraser-Beaulieu (CAN) and All In, a 2005 KWPN gelding (Tango x Leontine x Damiro) that Fraser-Beaulieu also owns, rounded out the top three with a score of 72.608%.
"I was really proud of All In tonight. You know, he is a hot horse and tonight he actually seemed like he was getting more relaxed and more calm the more I went through my pattern," said Fraser-Beaulieu.
Judge Gary Rockwell commented on the tests and the new scoring system that has been put into place for the Freestyle judging. "It's the first time that the riders have ever really had a catalogue of degree of difficulty," he said.
AGDF Director of Sport Thomas Baur also expanded upon the new judging concept, stating, "The riders have to submit their floor plan beforehand, and they also have to follow the floor plan. The judges will judge movement by movement and they can choose if they accept the difficulty or not, and I think it's a good step forward to make the subjective freestyle a bit more objective."
Fritz Kundrun spoke on behalf of the AMCI Group to benefit Brooke USA, and took some time to elaborate on how sponsorship promotes the mission of Brooke USA, highlighting the plight of working equines in third-world countries and how helping the animals also helps their owners.
Allyn Mann, Director of Adequan®, concluded the evening press conference by thanking the top three riders. He noted, "Your rides were received well by everybody. What a wonderful way to start off the season.
"I think that we are a family," he continued. "It really is just a wonderful experience to have the owners, the riders, the fans, the grooms, and of course, the horses. I feel that if this was as good as it got, it would be wonderful. But we know that there is much more to come."
Other classes of the day included the FEI Young Rider Team (PSG), sponsored by Yeguada de Ymas and won by Barbara Davis (USA) and Feivel Mousekewitz, a 2001 Hanoverian gelding (Federweisser x Saninni x Singular Joter) owned by Michael Davis, with a score of 67.000%. Victory in the FEI Intermediate II 16-25, sponsored by Diamante Farms, went to Juan Matute (ESP) and Quantico Ymas, a 2006 Hanoverian gelding (Fighting Fit x Hauptstutbuch) owned by Juan F Matute, with a score of 72.447%. The FEI Junior Rider Team class, sponsored by The Axel Johnson Group, awarded the win to Natalia Bacariza Danguillecourt (ESP) and Zoef Ymas, a 2004 KWPN gelding (Amsterdam x Mona x Walser) owned by Yeguada de Ymas S.L., with a score of 68.595%.
Competition at AGDF will resume tomorrow with a full schedule of classes, including the FEI Intermediate I, followed by the FEI Grand Prix Special, sponsored by MTICA Farm. For more information and to see a full list of results, please visit www.globaldressagefestival.com.
Final Results: FEI Grand Prix Freestyle CDI-W, presented by AMCI Group to benefit Brooke USA
Place, Rider, Nationality, Horse, Horse Information: Judge E%, Judge H%, Judge C%, Judge M%, Judge B%, Total %
1. Lisa Wilcox (USA), Galant, 2006 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Escuro x Bellisima owned byJacqueline Shear: 78.990%, 75.510%, 75.340%, 77.250%, 78.955%, 77.209%
2. Megan Lane (CAN), Caravella, 2001 KWPN mare by Contango x P. Riviera x Riverman owned by Megan Lane: 76.845%, 74.345%, 74.520%, 75.775%, 78.350%, 75.967%
3. Brittany Fraser-Beaulieu (CAN), All In, 2005 KWPN gelding by Tango x Leontine x Damiro owned by Brittany Fraser-Beaulieu: 74.055%, 71.805%, 69.915%, 72.695%, 74.570%, 72.608%
4. P.J. Rizvi (USA), Breaking Dawn, 2001 KWPN gelding by Akribori x Eveline x L.Ronald owned by P.J. Rizvi: 73.115%, 74.490%, 70.325%, 73.565%, 70.565%, 72.412%
5. Juan Matute Guimon (ESP), Don Diego Ymas, 2003 Warmblood gelding by Don Frederico x Wie Platine x Wolkenstein II owned by Juan F Matute: 68.360%, 72.010%, 70.645%, 70.120%, 73.040%, 70.835%
6. Jill Irving (CAN), Degas 12, 2002 Warmblood gelding by De Niro x Rosana M x Regazonni owned by Jill Irving: 67.515%, 69.965%, 70.130%, 69.980%, 70.305%, 69.579%
7. Jacqueline Brooks (CAN), D Niro, 1998 Swedish Warmblood gelding by D day x Alitalia x Napoleon 625 owned by Brookhaven Dressage Inc.: 67.135%, 71.260%, 70.210%, 71.705%, 64.535%, 68.969%
8. Suzan Pape (GBR), Harmony's Fiorano, 2005 Hanoverian gelding by Rousseau x Rawina x Rotspon owned by Harmony Sporthorses: 67.420%, 68.485%, 68.740%, 69.170%, 68.585%, 68.480%
Posted on Mar 4, 2014
Posted on Oct 16, 2014
Posted on Feb 11, 2018