Jessica Howington and Cavalia Win in Grand Prix Special In Their Ocala Back Yard
Sunday, October 24, 2021
Jessica Howington, who recently moved to Ocala in May, took home her second win of the show with her own Cavalia in the Grand Prix Special CDI3*. The pair won the Grand Prix to Special on Friday and Howington felt that her test in the Special was an improvement. They finished the Special with a score of 71.574%.
Photo: Jessica Howington and Cavalia ©susanjstickle.com
“My goal was to have a little more energy, and I think we managed that three-fourths of the way through,” said Howington. “I was happy with that; it was an improvement in my mind. She was a little more with me tonight. Overall, she was just ready to go. I was definitely happier with my ride tonight.”
Howington pointed out the passage, extended trot, and half passes as highlights of the Special test, which is a longer test than the grand prix. While Howington has had Cavalia for almost two years, she feels that they are still working on their partnership.
Working on Their Partnership
“I feel like right now we’re still at the very beginning,” she said of her partner, a 14-year-old KWPN mare by Sir Donnerhall x I.P.S. Gribaldi. “I will be blessed if I can get two or three more years out of her, because I feel like the next year and next year after that we will get better and better as our partnership develops. I’m really happy and proud that we’ve gotten to where we are, but I think there’s a lot more in the tank if we can get there.”
Riding With the Best
It was a special competition for Howington to take home two victories at World Equestrian Center – Ocala. “It’s amazing, and I’m over the moon about it,” she acknowledged. “I want to just continue to improve every test for me and Cavalia. There are amazing riders here, and the facility is absolutely incredible, the best of the best. It’s an amazing experience. Every single person I talk to, whether it’s someone in the stands who doesn’t know horses, or the top FEI riders, they all just rave about this facility.”
Second place in the Grand Prix Special went to Susan Dutta (USA) and her own Don Design DC with a score of 69.085%. Kerrigan Gluch and Mejorano HGF, owned by Hampton Green Farm, finished third with 68.723%.
Final Results: Grand Prix Special CDI3* Elizabeth McMullen score at E, Sandra Smith score at H, Janet Foy score at C, Ulrike Nivelle score at M, Kristi Wysocki score at B, Total Score
- Cavalia: 2007 KWPN mare by Sir Donnerhall x I.P.S. Gribaldi owned by Jessica Howington Jessica Howington (USA): 74.468%, 70.213%, 70.638%, 71.064%, 71.489%, 71.574%
- Don Design DC: 2010 Hanoverian gelding by Der Designer x Sir Donnerhall owned by Susan Dutta Susan Dutta (USA): 72.340%, 69.362%, 68.511%, 69.043%, 66.170%, 69.085%
- Mejorano HGF: 2011 Pura Raza Espanola stallion by Grandioso owned by Hampton Green Farm Kerrigan Gluch (USA): 71.596%, 67.766%, 69.681%, 67.340%, 67.234%, 68.723%
- Dinamico: 2010 Oldenburg gelding by Dylano x Clintino owned by Kevin Kohmann Kevin Kohmann (USA): 65.851%, 67.979%, 69.468%, 66.596%, 66.277%, 67.234%
- Erivo: 2009 KWPN gelding by Spielberg x Contango owned by Jill Hardt Jill Hardt (USA): 67.447%, 67.872%, 64.255%, 66.064%, 65.745%, 66.277%
- Etanga: 2009 KWPN mare by Wynton x Crosby owned by Alexandra Dominguez-Thomas Alexandra Dominguez-Thomas (GUA): 65.106%, 65.745%, 65.638%, 62.872%, 64.468%, 64.766%