Insurance Things To Consider For An Equestrian Facility Owner/Manager

Monday, November 1, 2021
Posted by


Horses Grazing Sunset.jpg

What is liability insurance and do I need it? Liability insurance is insurance designed to protect a policyholder against claims alleging that one’s negligence or inappropriate action resulted in bodily injury or property damage to another.

In this mini-series, we will offer some points to consider for:

• Facility Owners
• Trainers
• Boarders

First up will be facilities owners/managers.

Do you have adequate limits of liability?

Injuries resulting from equestrian accidents can be quite severe. Consider the value of claims for multiple fractures, concussions and even paraplegia. Medical bills for current and future injuries, plus lost time from work can be significant. Depending upon the size and usage of your facility, we would suggest a liability limit no less than $1 million. Greater exposures may warrant higher limits or an excess/umbrella policy, offering greater protection.

If you rent your facility, does your lease require you to name the property owner as an additional insured on your policy?

Read your contract carefully. Most owners will require this and failure to do so could lead to an action for breach of contract.

Read your lease carefully and know what you are agreeing to. Make sure it specifies exactly what you are leasing. The property should be defined and along with it, any equipment that may be included. Know who is responsible for maintenance of common areas, fences, systems, equipment, etc.

Do you have equine liability signs posted?

In order to be protected by equine liability statutes, proper signs must be posted that are visible to everyone. Make sure the proper statutes are referenced.

Stay tuned next week for the second part of this article.

Markel Insurance

It is worth the time and effort to have a discussion with your insurance agent to be certain you are fully protected. HorsesDaily's Mary Phelps is a Markel Equine, Farm and Liability Specialist. Working with her CSR Tracey Scharf they are available to help guide you through this process., 1-800-572-3286. Many of the needed forms and information can be found on our website

This document is intended for general information purposes only, and should not be construed as advice or opinions on any specific facts or circumstances. The content of this document is made available on an “as is” basis, without warranty of any kind. This document can’t be assumed to contain every acceptable safety and compliance procedures or that additional procedures might not be appropriate under the circumstances. Markel does not guarantee that this information is or can be relied on for compliance with any law or regulation, assurance against preventable losses, or freedom from legal liability. This publication is not intended to be legal, underwriting, or any other type of professional advice. Persons requiring advice should consult an independent adviser.  Markel does not guarantee any particular outcome and makes no commitment to update any information herein, or remove any items that are no longer accurate or complete. Furthermore, Markel does not assume any liability to any person or organization for loss or damage caused by or resulting from any reliance placed on that content.
*Markel Specialty is a business division of Markel Service, Incorporated, the underwriting  manager for the Markel affiliated insurance companies. © 2022 Markel Service, Incorporated. All rights reserved.