Germany’s Christoph Koschel Tops FEI Grand Prix CDI4* at AGDF 3
Saturday, January 30, 2021
Posted by Kim Beaudoin for Jennifer Wood Media, Inc.
Week three of the Adequan® Global Dressage Festival continued on Friday, January 29, and Christoph Koschel (GER) took the day’s lead in the FEI Grand Prix CDI4* for freestyle, presented by U.S. P.R.E. Association piloting Eaton Unitechno. AGDF 3 continues through Sunday, January 31, and the circuit hosts 10 weeks of international and national dressage competition until April 4. Free live streaming and on-demand of select classes are available to view at GlobalDressageFestival.com.
Photo - Christoph Koschel and Eaton Unitechno. (©SusanJStickle)
Koschel and Eaton Unitechno, a 2009 KWPN gelding by Wynton owned by Unitechno, Inc., rode to a score of 70.065%, the only combination in the day’s class to earn above a 70%.
“He felt a bit spicy today,” began Koschel. “The horse is really expressive, but he can do better in the canter tour, so this is definitely something we want to improve. He has competed well lately, but the atmosphere is a little chilly tonight, and he knows this arena, but he was still a little nervous. For a start to this season, I was pretty happy with it.”
To Watch the Winning Ride - Click Here (Video Credit: ©Richard’s Equine Video)
Koschel, who is the coach of the Japanese dressage team, took over the ride from one of his team riders and expressed his gratitude for the talented mount. He explained, “He’s been in my stable for a while because he belongs to one of my Japanese team riders. He gave me the ride on this horse, and the horse was a little hot, so he thought it would be good if I took over. It was really kind of him, and his sponsor was very kind to let me ride the horse, so I am thankful for that. I am lucky that I can keep competing him!”
Koschel’s winter plan is to give the gelding more time in the competition arena before taking him back to Europe for the summer. “We want to get as much experience together as we can get,” he continued, “and I am looking forward to my first freestyle with him on Sunday. When he feels good, I want to keep competing and see where we end up. We can do better with more suppleness and less tension, but that will come.”
Canada’s Lindsay Kellock captured second place in the Grand Prix CDI4* for freestyle, presented by U.S. P.R.E. Association with a 68.739% riding Sebastien, Lindsay Kellock and Enterprise Farm Equestrian LLC’s 2006 Rhinelander gelding by Sandro Hit. Third place was awarded to Michael Klimke (GER) aboard Harmony’s Diablo, a 2010 Hanoverian gelding by Desparados owned by Harmony Sporthorses. They received a score of 65.435%.
Earlier in the day, Jodie Kelly-Baxley (USA) and her own 2011 KWPN gelding Grayton Beach (by Negro) rose to the occasion in the FEI Prix St. Georges CDI1*, presented by Adequan®, earning a 73.676%. Second place went to Germany’s Frederic Wandres aboard Harrods 3, Hof Kasselmann’s 2013 Hanoverian gelding by Hochadel, with a score of 72.529%. Third place went to the USA’s Steffen Peters and Boreas FRF, a 2012 Oldenburg stallion by Bordeaux owned by Five Rings Farm, finishing on a 71.735%.
Competition at AGDF 3 will continue tomorrow with a full schedule of classes, including the FEI Intermediare A CDI3*, and the FEI Grand Prix Special CDI3* presented by ProElite, before the FEI Grand Prix Special CDI4*, presented by Havensafe Farm, beginning at 1:10 PM. For more information and to see a full list of results, visit www.globaldressagefestival.com.
Place, rider, nationality, horse, horse information: judge E%, judge H%, judge C%, judge M%, judge B%; final score
FEI Grand Prix CDI4* for Freestyle, presented by U.S. P.R.E. Association:
E, William Warren (USA); H, Mariano Santos Redondo (ESP); C, Kjell Myhre (NOR); M, Elke Ebert (GER); B, Christof Umbach (LUX)
1. Christoph Koschel (GER) on Eaton Unitechno, Unitechno, Inc.’s 2009 KWPN gelding by Wynton: 68.043, 71.630, 70.435, 71.739, 68.478; 70.065%
2. Lindsay Kellock (CAN) on Sebastien, Lindsay Kellock and Enterprise Farm Equestrian LLC.’s 2006 Rhinelander gelding by Sandro Hit: 67.283, 69.457, 68.804, 70.109, 68.043; 68.739
3. Michael Klimke (GER) on Harmony’s Diablo, Harmony Sporthorses’ 2010 Hannoverian gelding by Desparados: 64.891, 64.674, 66.196, 65.978, 65.435; 65.435%
4. Güenter Seidel (USA) on Equirelle, Leatherdale Farms and Louise Leatherdale’s 2009 KWPN mare by Florett AS: 63.478, 62.717, 63.478, 63.478, 63.804; 63.391%
5. Ivo Juhrend (NED) on Cover Girl, Jaron Verheij’s 2007 KWPN mare by Johnson TN: 62.174, 65.000, 62.935, 61.739, 61.739; 62.717%
6. Jaron Verheij (NED) on Dutch D-Day, his own KWPN gelding by Johnson TN: 62.717, 64.239, 64.348, 63.261, 57.609; 62.435%
7. Joanne Vaughn (GEO) on Al Martino 10, Joanne Vaughn’s 2004 Holsteiner gelding by Almoretto: 59.348, 64.783, 62.174, 59.130, 61.304; 61.348%
To see more coverage of the AGDF Week 3 - Click Here