Equine Insurance Claims: Everything You Need to Know!
Tuesday, April 21, 2020
It's every horse owners worse nightmare...having a sick or injured animal, and then having to deal with the claims process. One of the reasons we are so proud to represent Markel Insurance Company is there knowledgeable & friendly claims staff. They know what its like; as most of them are horse and farm owners themselves. The greatest thing you can do as a client is to "know" your policy. The worst feeling is to think you are covered for something that your not. Whether there is an exclusion for something due to a pre-existing condition, or there are some things that are just not covered under most Major Medical & Surgical policies. The policy wording to the Major Medical/Surgical coverage is only 3 pages long, so when you get your new policy, read those 3 important pages, and if you have any questions, that's what we are here for.
At Markel claims, we hold ourselves to the highest ethical and professional standards and consistently provide prompt, fair, and equitable claims service. We have dedicated claims professionals with specialized knowledge in the product lines they handle. In addition to our in-house claims specialists, Markel utilizes an extensive network of industry recognized authorities in investigation, appraising, conservation, medical evaluations, and restoration. We maintain an adaptable claims handling approach which allows us to meet the unique demands of the lines we service – creatively working together to achieve a first rate claims experience. Your satisfaction with the processing and outcome of your claim is our top priority.
To report horse injury, sickness, or mortality claims -
Note: Horse injury, sickness, and mortality claims may only be reported via telephone.
Immediate notice of all accidents, sicknesses, injuries and/or deaths must be reported to:
800-362-7535 Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. EST
800-446-7925 Evenings, weekends, and holidays
Mortality claim card
Animal loss procedures -
1. Report all accidents, sicknesses, injuries, and deaths.
2. Contact Markel for permission prior to any surgical procedures.
3. Make arrangements for an autopsy.
4. Call police in case of theft, shooting, or vehicular involvement.
1. Perform any surgical procedure without contacting Markel.
2. Have animal put down without consent of Markel.
3. Have animal removed prior to performance of an autopsy.
4. Neglect a police report, if needed.
Please share these procedures with anyone having care, custody, and control of the insured horse. Failure to comply may jeopardize your coverage.
To report horse liability or farm claims
Please use the property or general liability links located here.
Accident report procedures
1. Obtain all accident details.
2. Obtain names, addresses, and phone numbers of all witnesses.
3. Obtain names, addresses, phone numbers of police, fire, medical, or hospital authorities.
4. Report all incidents to Markel Claims department.
1. Divulge information with regards to insurance coverage.
2. Admit responsibility for the accident or injury.
3. Discuss accident or injury with anyone other than your insurance representative or someone authorized by the insurance company.
Send us an e-mail or give us a call, if you are interested, and let’s get the process started.
A Markel Equine Insurance Specialist
Office hours 9-4 EST Mon-Thurs
9-1 EST Friday
Posted on Aug 17, 2020
Posted on May 4, 2020
Posted on Apr 6, 2020
Posted on Apr 15, 2019