Donna Ponessa Triumphs at Houston Dressage Society Spring Classic I & II CPEDI3*
Sunday, April 29, 2012
Posted by Lindsay McCall
Donna's trainer Wes Dunham agreed, "I was ecstatic to see Donna knock down those scores like that. We took a look at Friday's scores and comments and built on the positive comments and we took the items we didn't like and focused on correcting those in the warm-up ring, it was amazing! I am really amazed at the competitive and tough side of Donna's personality and it has been a great experience seeing her rewarded for her dedication to this sport."
Wes continued, "This partnership is astounding. I had an inkling when we tried the horse a month ago and we realized we were right on with that impression that this horse and Donna would work well together. I am grateful for the guidance of Kai Handt in helping us to make that choice, Jonathan Wentz for allowing us to share this spectacular horse, and for Dr. Michele Miles who has generously let us borrow Silvano. In addition, we would not be here if it wasn't for Sue and Kevin Niblo and Donna's sponsors and support."
On Sunday Donna will perform her first Freestyle with Silvano. "The Freestyle Test is my absolute favorite," disclosed Ponessa. I look forward to the freestyle because I think it will showcase Silvano's athleticism and elegance in the walk. I am also looking forward to getting to know Silvano more and enjoy riding him when the pressure is off."
Prior to the 2008 Beijing Paralympics Chef d'Equipe Missy Ransehousen was looking for an Assistant Coach for the United States Paralympics Team. Sharon Schneidman accepted the opportunity to "pay-it-forward" and support and coach the Para-Equestrian Team. She noted, "My husband Grant and I have had some of the most wonderful years competing in Dressage and Eventing. Over the years, so many people stepped forward to support Eventing and to be able to give back as a coach for the Para-Equestrian discipline has been rewarding."
After Hong Kong Sharon was selected for the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games and will continue accompany the team to the 2012 London Paralympics. Sharon is also an accomplished rider competing through FEI Grand Prix Level. Her husband, Grant was part of the USET Three-Day team for 18 years and is both a USDF Gold and Silver Medal. When not traveling around the United States with the Para-Equestrian Team Sharon heads home to Elizabeth, CO where she and Grant run their dressage training service, Westmanton Stables LLC. With her location not far from Wendy Fryke, Sharon has helped Wendy develop as a high-level dressage rider and Para-Equestrian Team member.
After the Houston CPEDI3* Wendy will work on additional lateral work to genuinely connect Lateran through the shoulder. She will also continue to work her way to her USDF Silver Medal showing through 4th Level this year.
Grade Ib Para-Equestrian Jonathan Wentz (Wylie, TX) is also looking forward to competing at the 2012 Selection Trials. Over the past few years Jonathan has accomplished many goals. As a 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games U.S. Team member, the 2011 USEF Para-Equestrian Dressage National Champion, and ranked among the 10th in the world, Jonathan continues to achieve the highest accolades in his sport. Wentz noted, "Without the support I have received from my family, Kai Handt, Rachel Zent, North Texas Equestrian Center, and generous owners like Dr. Michele Miles, I would not have been able to accomplish these dreams. I look forward to Gladstone and I am excited for the United States."
In Grade IV, Jennifer Baker (Loveland, OH) and Rondo Del Rey, owned by Kathy Jones, increased their scores and solidified their relationship. Baker commented, "I was really happy with my partnership with him during the Individual Test. It has been 10 days and today I figured out how to make our partnership more solid. Part of the change includes not being so nervous and trusting him. Rondo is a great horse that has excellent high-level technical movements, and a wonderful attitude. I want to thank Kathleen Jones for loaning me Rondo, Susan Shiba who is the trainer of Rondo, and the entire horse show. I also would like to thank Hope Hand for getting me to come back to the show ring and to my boyfriend who sold multiple items so I could travel to Texas."
Sunday, April 28 will be the final day and Freestyle Test competition for the Houston Dressage Society Spring Classic I & II CPEDI3* sponsored by The COR Group. United States Para-Equestrians that have earned their qualifying score for the 2012 USEF Paralympics Selection Trials will head to Gladstone, New Jersey for the Selection Trials and USEF Para-Equestrian Dressage National Championship scheduled for June 10-13, 2012.
Results Team Test Competition Saturday April 28, 2012
H: Lopes-POR C: Amos Jacob-FRA B: Wysocki-USA
Name, Horse, Owner, Country, Score%
1. Donna Ponessa, Silvano, owned by Dr. Michele Miles, USA 74.585%
2. Jody Schloss, Inspector Rebus, owned by Jody Schloss, CAN, 67.665%
3. Courtney King-Dye, Nicolai, owned by Andrea Hart, USA, 65.665%
4. Laura Goldman, NTEC Manchada, owned by Kai Handt, USA, 64.915%
5 Laura Goldman,VPRH Pegasus Vom Niehaus-HOF,owned by Patrick Truxillo, USA,61.75%
1.Jonathan Wentz, Silvano, owned by Dr. Michele Miles, USA, 69.639%
2.Jonathan Wentz, NTEC Jabriel, owned by Rachel Zent, USA, 61.013%
1. Lauren Barwick, Off To Paris, owned by Equine Canada, CAN, 71.586%
2. Kim Jones, Madoc Dylan, owned by Nancy Hinz, USA, 62.7%
3. Sydney Collier, Nicolai, owned by Andrea Hart, USA, 60.714%
4. Barbara Adside, NTEC Manchada, owned by Kai Handt, USA, 59.681%
1. Wendy Fryke, Lateran, owned by Wendy Fryke, USA, 65.833%
1. Jennifer Baker, Rondo Del Ray, owned by Kathy Jones, USA, 61.559%
2. Iana Gonzalez, Farol, owned by Raul Armendariz, USA, 56.398%
3. Iana Gonzalez, Isleno Arm, owned by Raul Armendariz, USA, 50.914%
Results Team Test Competition Friday April 27, 2012
H: Amos Jacob-FRA C: Schmutz-USA M: - B: Lopes-POR
Name, Horse, Owner, Country,Score%
1. Donna Ponessa, Silvano, owned by Dr. Michele Miles, USA 69.706%
2. Laura Goldman, VPRH Pegasus Vom Niehaus-HOF,owned by Patrick Truxillo, USA,68.235%
3. Jody Schloss, Inspector Rebus, owned by Jody Schloss, CAN, 67.941%
4. Courtney King-Dye, Nicolai, owned by Andrea Hart, USA, 62.747%,
5. Laura Goldman, NTEC Manchada, owned by Kai Handt, USA, 62.159%
1.Jonathan Wentz, Silvano, owned by Dr. Michele Miles, USA, 69.241%
2.Jonathan Wentz, NTEC Jabriel, owned by Rachel Zent, USA, 68.409%
1. Lauren Barwick, Off To Paris, owned by Equine Canada, CAN, 72.776%
2. Kim Jones, Madoc Dylan, owned by Nancy Hinz, USA, 65.319%
3. Sydney Collier, Nicolai, owned by Andrea Hart, USA, 63.81%
4. Barbara Adside, NTEC Manchada, owned by Kai Handt, USA, 61.033%
1. Wendy Fryke, Lateran, owned by Wendy Fryke, USA, 64.259%
1. Jennifer Baker, Rondo Del Ray, owned by Kathy Jones, USA, 59.791%
2. Iana Gonzalez, Farol, owned by Raul Armendariz, USA, 59.375%
3. Iana Gonzalez, Isleno Arm, owned by Raul Armendariz, USA, 57.397%
Posted on Nov 13, 2016
Posted on Jan 30, 2011
Posted on Jul 25, 2014
Posted on Jun 26, 2016