Common Questions About Care, Custody and Control Insurance

Monday, April 16, 2018
Posted by


Are you covered when taking care of others horses? Ask us about Care, Custody and Control coverage when you board, train or haul client's horses.

You asked, we answered. Care, Custody and Control is coverage that can be added to your Commercial Equine Liability policy. Please see the below commonly asked questions to help you determine if you should have this very important coverage.

Q: I board and train horses I do not own - do I need care, custody and control (CCC) coverage?
A: Yes, the intent of care, custody and control insurance is to provide coverage for people who board, train, breed, or are legally responsible for horses they do not own. The policy will pay on your behalf for the amount you are legally obligated to others for death, injury, or theft of horses in your care, custody or control.

Q: I require all my boarders to carry mortality policies on their horses. Do I still need CCC coverage?
A: Yes. While requiring your boarders to have mortality coverage is a great practice, it does not prevent you from being sued should an accident occur. The coverage not only pays out on your behalf should you be liable, it also triggers the policy to include defense costs associated with this type of claim. If the care, custody and control coverage is not included on your policy, there would be no coverage to pay for your defense costs if you were sued.

Q: In addition to training non-owned horses, I also transport them to shows. If we are in a hauling accident and a horse is injured am I covered?
A: Yes, incidental transportation as part of a boarding, training, or breeding operation is included under the care, custody and control coverage form.

Q: How do I determine what limits of insurance I need for horses in my care?
A: When choosing a limit, consider how many horses are in your care at one time and if they are insured for mortality and what limits they currently hold. This is a good starting point to determine the limit per horse and total aggregate limit. You can also contact your Markel representative to help you determine the most adequate limits for your individual needs.

HorsesDaily's Mary Phelps ( is a Markel Equine Insurance Specialist and CSR Tracey Scharf ( provide the personal attention needed to help make the lives of their clients smooth and easy when it comes to the process of insuring your Farm, business and equine mortality needs. While Mary travels to the shows and barns, you can count on Tracey in the office to be available to answer questions and manage the details with ease. 1-800-572-3286.