Colvin Adds Another Tryon Summer Win in $15,000 Under 25 Grand Prix Aboard BetterTimes
Monday, July 6, 2015
Mill Spring, NC - Victoria Colvin of Loxahatchee, FL, continued her hot streak today with a win in the $15,000 Under 25 Grand Prix aboard BetterTimes, owned by Heritage Farm, at the conclusion of the Tryon Summer 2 show at Tryon International Equestrian Center (TIEC). Colvin and BetterTimes finished the jump-off with a time of 46.824 seconds, followed by Wilton Porter of Bartonville, TX, aboard Delinquent JX stopping the timers in 41.344 seconds with four faults. Haley Gassel of Lenoir City, TN, and Quite Dark 2 rounded out the top three, completing the jump-off with eight faults and a time of 42.086 seconds.
The Tryon Summer Series will begin again on Wednesday, July 8, with the start of Tryon Summer 3, hosting a week of FEI CSI 4* competition. Colvin, who was also champion of the $10,000 1.45 Horseware Ireland Open Jumper on Friday aboard Lumiere, found herself in the winner's circle again today, capping an impressive week for the 17-year-old star. "The course today had a lot of turns and only two direct lines, but it's my kind of course because once you find those distances you're there," remarked Colvin.
"She felt a little backed off in the first round, but really went for it in the jump-off, which I was happy with." "All four riders that went before me had some rails so I knew that I needed to go slow and clean, especially since she was a little bit nervous in the first round and I aimed to put in a clear and smooth round, which is exactly what she did," explained Colvin. "I knew if I had a rail it was going to be tough, but I wanted to give her the best ride possible."
Colvin and BetterTimes are relatively new to each other and their partnership is beginning to flourish, as Colvin's experience helps to calm the mare's nerves in the ring. BetterTimes has natural talent and ability, which will make her a great ride in the future according to Colvin. "She's a nine-year-old mare so she's still pretty young in terms of what she's doing. We got her from Europe and Andre gave her to me to ride and she's been great. We haven't done too much with her yet, but she's a great mare. She's not the most careful at this point, but she's incredibly scopey," she commented.
"She's really quiet and is very sweet. She's always happy with her ears up and very fun to be around, especially to ride," noted Colvin. Colvin's first class under the lights on Saturday night at TIEC was a good test and she will use the experience to help prepare her for future Grand Prix competitions. In only the second time showing her new mount, Echo Von T Spieveld, Colvin performed well and the duo will look to build on their results from last night. "It was fun and I thought he was really good for our first time together under the lights. He was a little bit nervous, but he went really well. I was pleased with how we did and will look to improve on it next time out," she commented.
Final Results for $15,000 Under 25 Grand Prix:
1. BETTERTIMES, 2006 Dutch Warmblood mare by Londontimes VICTORIA COLVIN, Heritage Farm, Inc: 0/0/46.824
2. DELINQUENT JX, 2007 Scottish Sport Horse gelding by Darco x Summer Love WILTON PORTER, Sleepy P Ranch, LLC: 0/4/41.334
3. QUITE DARK 2, 2005 Holsteiner mare by Quality x Eleganz HALEY GASSEL, Westwind Equine Training Center: 0/8/42.086
4. CHARLEY, 2007 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Numero Uno x Wendy-Gea KEELY MCINTOSH, Jenny Booth: 0/8/42.127
5. UNICO, 2001 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Odermus R x High Hopes MARK BLUMAN, Stransky's Mission Farms, Inc.: 0/14/51.328
6. PATRIOT, 2003 Holsteiner gelding by Colman x Harmonie XIV WILTON PORTER, Sleepy P. Ranch, LLC: 1/90.091
7. NIGHTFIRE 25, 2006 Holsteiner gelding by Numero Uno x Mona XII KIRA KERKORIAN, Lisa Kerkorian: 4/86.361
8. GOLDFINGER VD HENSTENPOEL, 2006 Belgian Warmblood mare by Winningmood vd Arenberg x Lariska SARAH BAGWORTH, Sarah Bagworth: 4/86.941
For more information on TIEC and for a full list of results, please visit www.tryon.com.
Posted on Nov 3, 2014
Posted on Aug 28, 2017
Posted on Sep 13, 2015
Posted on Apr 1, 2017