Christoph Koschel Reigns Supreme on New Ride in Final Grand Prix Special of AGDF 2022
Saturday, March 26, 2022
Posted by Alice Collins for Jennifer Wood Media, Inc.
The culmination of top-level international action in the final week of the 2022 Adequan® Global Dressage Festival (AGDF) season in Wellington, FL, came in the form of Saturday’s showcase class: the Grand Prix Special CDI4*, presented by The Dutta Corp. On the penultimate day of the final CDI week, Christoph Koschel (GER) claimed the richest purse of the day, scooping the blue ribbon thanks to a 69.957% victory on Dünensee.
Photo - German rider Christoph Koschel’s partnership with Dünensee flourished into double victory in AGDF 11, culminating in a 69.957% Grand Prix Special CDI4* victory. ©susanjstickle.com
Susan Dutta (USA) logged 69.255% for second place on her and her husband Tim’s Don Design DC, a 12-year-old gelding by Der Designer. Naïma Moreira Laliberté (CAN) added to her already lucrative week with a 68.915% third-place finish on Statesman, KML Inc’s 15-year-old Sandro Hit gelding.
“I had a super nice feeling today, and he was really light in my hand,” said Koschel of Dünensee, Diamante Farms’s 13-year-old Dancier gelding. “There was one mistake on the centerline in the ones that was maybe a little bit my fault; I was a little too forward, and it’s always a little bit of a risk if you want to do it too nice. We’re at the end of the season and maybe you don’t have the same energy like the first CDI, but I was super happy because he was really fighting for me in there still.”
Koschel has been riding Dünensee for less than four months and he is for sale, so his competitive future remains undecided.
“He was pretty consistent today, maybe a little lighter in everything [compared to the Grand Prix],” added Koschel. “He really lets me ride now, and then we grow more and more together. It’s now our second special and maybe fifth or sixth test together.”
AGDF 11 — the final week of international action for the 2022 season — concludes on Sunday, March 27, with the hotly anticipated grand finals of both the Summit Farm Future Challenge at Prix St. Georges level and the Lövsta Future Challenge, in which competitors ride the FEI Young Horse Grand Prix. The season’s final day of CDI competition also features small tour, juniors, young riders, an Under-25 Grand Prix Freestyle and young horse classes. For more information and results, visit www.globaldressagefestival.com.
Results: FEI Grand Prix CDI4* (for special), presented by The Dutta Corp.
E, Maarten Van Der Heijden (NED); H, Peter Storr (GBR); C, Thomas Keßler (GER); M, Sandra Hotz (USA); B, Marlena Gruca Rucinska (POL)
1. Christoph Koschel (GER) on Dünensee, Diamante Farms’ 13yo Hanoverian gelding by Dancier: 72.021, 68.191, 69.574, 70.957, 69.043, 69.957
2. Susan Dutta (USA) on Don Design DC, her own & Tim Dutta’s 12yo Hanoverian gelding by Der Designer: 67.872, 68.936, 68.83, 70, 70.638, 69.255
3. Naïma Moreira Laliberté (CAN) on Statesman, KML Inc’s 15yo Hanoverian gelding by Sandro Hit: 68.511, 71.277, 68.617, 68.085, 68.085, 68.915
4. Ariana Chia (CAN) on Fiderflame, her own 12yo Oldenburg gelding by Fidertanz: 65.957, 70, 67.553, 67.447, 67.766, 67.745
5. Katherine Bateson Chandler (USA) on Alcazar, Jane Forbes Clark’s 17yo KWPN gelding by Contango: 65.532, 66.596, 63.404, 66.064, 65.745, 65.468
6. Jan Ebeling (USA) on Bellena, Ann Romney’s 12yo Hanoverian mare by Belissimo M: 63.511, 63.617, 62.979, 65.319, 68.085, 64.702
7. Diane Creech (CAN) on Chrevis Christo, her own & Louise Leatherdale’s 19yo Danish Warmblood gelding by Chrevi’s Cavallo: 62.553, 65.851, 63.936, 66.383, 63.085, 64.362
8. Jill Irving (CAN) on Arthur, her own & Windhaven Farm’s 17yo KWPN gelding by Jazz: 65.532, 61.277, 62.447, 64.149, 65.532, 63.787
9. Mikala Münter (USA) on Skyfall, her own 14yo Oldenburg gelding by Zardin Firfod: 62.979, 61.702, 64.149, 64.574, 64.787, 63.638
10. Kiichi Harada (JPN) on Sir Galanto, Chiemi Katayama’s 17yo Hanoverian gelding by Stedinger: 62.021, 64.362, 62.128, 64.043, 62.872, 63.085