Certificate of Insurance: Important Info When Others Conduct Business on Your Property

Monday, August 5, 2019
Posted by



I recently got asked a question from a current farm owner: Why do we request that trainers/instructors/clinicians coming onto the property name them as an Additional Insured?   

This is a great question. There are a few reasons why we request that "our insured" request to be named on a Certificate of Insurance:

  1. It provides proof of current coverage for the trainer/instructor/clinician
  2. If the trainer/instructor/clinician', insurance coverage is cancelled for any reason - you as a named certificate holder will also be notified.
  3. If there is a suit brought against a trainer/instructor/clinician conducting business on your premises, the person bringing forth the suit is going to name the trainer/instructor,/clinician and also you as the premises owner.  When you are a "Named Additional Insured", the trainer/instructor/clinicians Insurance Company is now going to provide coverage for you also under their policy.

This is why there is a small fee charged by most Insurance companies, because they are now also extending coverage to the "Named Additional Insured", not just the policy holder.

Contact us:
HorsesDaily's Mary Phelps is a Markel Equine Insurance Specialist and CSR Tracey Scharf provide the personal attention needed to help make the lives of their clients smooth and easy when it comes to the process of insuring your farm, business and equine mortality needs. While Mary travels to the shows and barns, you can count on Tracey in the office to be available to answer questions and manage the details with ease. 1-800-572-3286 or

Tracey Scharf Customer representative for Mary Phelps, a Markel Horse Insurance Specialist

Markel Speciality Commercial Agriculture, Horse and Farm Division
PO Box 868, DeLeon Springs, FL 32130
Direct: (386) 985-1429
Fax: (386) 985-4657