DRESSAGE DAILY | NEWS
Ashley Holzer Re-Tops Field in Grand Prix Special CDI3* in Wellington
Sunday, February 23, 2020
Posted by Alice Collins for Jennifer Wood Media, Inc.
Ashley Holzer (USA) recaptured the top step of the podium in the FEI Grand Prix Special CDI3*, presented by Wellington Agricultural Services in Week 7 of the AGDF 2020. She finished third in Thursday’s qualifying Grand Prix, but was back on winning form today, riding Mango Eastwood to 71.979% and a unanimous first place from all five judges.
“It was so fun,” said the four-time Olympian, who used to ride for Canada and still trains most of the Canadian senior team riders. “Mango is an amazing horse and I’m very lucky to have such a great horse.”
Photo - Ashley Holzer is forging a strong bond with the 11-year-old Wynton gelding Mango Eastwood, winning the FEI Grand Prix Special CDI3* with almost 72%. (©️Susan Stickle)
Holzer only began competing at big tour with Diane Fellows’ 11-year-old KWPN, by the Jazz son Wynton, last month and has won three of their four starts at AGDF. The gelding was formerly competed in the young horse divisions by Spain's Jordi Domingo Coll but has been out of the international ring for four years. Holzer, who is 56, has been riding him for two years.
Of the 12 starters, it was fellow USA rider Michael Pineo who got closest to Holzer. He recorded 68.617% on his own 10-year-old Farrington, another horse to carry Jazz blood, being a direct son. Farrington began his international grand prix career in AGDF in 2019; this was his highest score at the level to date and included a plus-70% from judge Peter Storr. Megan Lane (CAN) and Zodiac MW finished third with 66.787%.
Katie Johnson (USA) climbed a place from the qualifying Prix St. Georges class to claim the winner’s sash in the FEI Intermediate I CDI1*, presented by CabanaCoast. Riding Kylee Lourie’s Quaterback gelding Quartett, she posted 69.265%. The 12-year-old is a new ride for Johnson and this is their first CDI show together and their first victory. She fended off 11 other competitors, including her compatriot, the PSG winner Günter Seidel, who finished second by 0.39% on Beltano, and third-placed Diane Creech (CAN) who scored 68.726% on Robbie W.
FEI Grand Prix Special CDI3*, presented by Wellington Agricultural Services
E, Susie Hoevenaars (AUS); H, Katrina Wuest (GER); C, Kari McClain (USA); M, Elisabeth Max-Theurer (AUT); B, Peter Storr (GBR)
1. Ashley Holzer (USA) on Mango Eastwood, Diane Fellows’ 11yo KWPN gelding by Wynton: 72.447, 72.234, 71.702, 71.17, 72.34, 71.979
2. Michael Pineo (USA) on Farrington, his own 10yo KWPN gelding by Jazz: 67.234, 69.043, 67.872, 68.298, 70.638, 68.617
3. Megan Lane (CAN) on Zodiac MW, Deer Ridge Equestrian’s 16yo KWPN gelding by Rousseau: 66.17, 66.915, 65.106, 67.553, 68.191, 66.787
4. Susan Dutta (USA) on Don Design DC, her own 10yo Hanoverian gelding by Der Designer: 64.362, 68.085, 65.319, 67.872, 66.702, 66.468
5. Evi Strasser (CAN) on Disney Tyme, her own 12yo Oldenburg gelding by Diamond Hit: 66.383, 64.894, 65.426, 64.787, 63.404, 64.979
6. Denielle Gallagher-Legriffon (CAN) on Wilson Pickett, her own 15yo Hanoverian gelding by Wolkentanz: 66.617, 65.34, 64.596, 62.681, 64.383, 64.723
7. Jill Irving (CAN) on Arthur, her own 15yo KWPN gelding by Jazz: 64.064, 66.723, 64.596, 64.383, 62.468, 64.447
8. Patricia Ferrando (VEN) on Elvis, her own 11yo Danish Warmblood gelding by Rousseau: 63.511, 65, 64.787, 64.468, 64.043, 64.362
9. Kiichi Harada (JPN) on Fairytale S, Noa Co Ltd’s 16yo AES gelding by Reve D’Or: 63.404, 63.191, 67.34, 63.085, 63.936, 64.191
10. Liz Steacie (CAN) on Callahan, her own 15yo Hanoverian gelding by Cordoba: 63.511, 63.191, 62.234, 62.66, 63.298, 62.979