Ashley Holzer and Havanna 145 Get The Dressage Euro Feel In Ocala
Friday, December 10, 2021
Ocala, Fla. – The World Equestrian Center Dressage V CDI-W began with two international-level grand prix classes on Thursday, December 9, 2021, at the World Equestrian Center – Ocala in Florida. Ashley Holzer (USA) and Havanna 145 took the top spot in the Grand Prix to Freestyle CDI-W.
Four-time Olympian Ashley Holzer rode Havanna 145, a 14-year-old Hanoverian mare by Hochadel x Rodgau owned by Dr. Diane Fellows, to the win in the Grand Prix to Freestyle CDI-W with a score of 70.342%. Second place went to Katie Duerrhammer (USA) and Kylee Lourie’s Quartett, who scored 69.000%. With a score of 68.816%, Mikala Munter (USA) and her own Salsa Hit were third.
“It was a big difference, and she was much more tense out here,” said Holzer of her horse going from the indoor arena to the outdoor stadium. “But that’s great. This is why we have to get out at horse shows where they have great venues like this, where we can see what our horse will do. Europeans show pretty much every weekend, and we don’t have that luxury here.”
Holzer noted that the experience helped her learn as a rider and a trainer. She recalled, “I came in like gangbusters and then realized, ‘Oh God, I’m on a hot tamale! This is not going to work! I’ve got to tone it down.’ Then you feel the horse come back to you, and it’s an incredible feeling. Every time out there, you learn something.”
Holzer expressed her gratitude for the support of her owner, Dr. Diane Fellows, and her support team, plus the team at World Equestrian Center.
“I’m very grateful for the Roberts family for having this incredible facility and for allowing us to have these great shows to come to, and all the organizers that make it possible for us, especially right before Christmas,” she said.
Katie Duerrhammer First Time at The World Equestrian Center "Not Just a Horse Show"
Second-place finishers Duerrhammer, of Greenwood Village, Colo., and Quartett, a 13-year-old German Sport Horse gelding by Quaterback x Dream of Glory, were competing in their first short Grand Prix test. Duerrhammer has been partnered with the liver chestnut gelding for almost three years and noted that last weekend was the first anniversary of the horse’s first time competing in the grand prix. Tomorrow’s Grand Prix Freestyle CDI-W will be their first time riding their freestyle in a CDI.
“Overall, I was quite happy with him,” said Duerrhammer. “He was very attentive and tried really hard. The quality of things was good; it just needs to get cleaned up a little bit and get some more run-throughs of the actual test. We’re very excited to be under the lights tomorrow night.”
This was also Duerrhammer’s first time competing at World Equestrian Center – Ocala. “It’s really incredible,” she affirmed. “The stabling is lovely, the footing is incredibly consistent everywhere, and it’s really horse-friendly and very spectator friendly. My owner was able to fly in from Colorado and enjoy the amazing hotel, the spa, and the restaurant and have the experience, not just a horse show.”
Final Results: Grand Prix to Freestyle CDI-W
Sarah Geikie at E score, Yuri Romanov at H score, Peter Storr at C score, Maribel Alonso de Quinzanos at M score, Cesar Torrente at B score
- Havanna 145: 2007 Hanoverian mare by Hochadel x Rodgau owned by Dr. Diane Fellows Ashley Holzer (USA): 72.237%, 69.474%, 70.395%, 69.868%, 69.737%, 70.342%
- Quartett: 2008 German Sport Horse gelding by Quaterback x Dream of Glory, owned by Kylee Lourie Katie Duerrhammer (USA): 67.368%, 69.605%, 69.737%, 70.263%, 68.026%, 69.000%
- Salsa Hit: 2009 Oldenburg gelding by Samba Hit III x Riverman-ISF owned by Cara Broderick Mikala Munter (USA): 65.921%, 71.842%, 69.079%, 69.079%, 68.158%, 68.816%
- Katholt’s Bossco: 2007 Danish Warmblood stallion by Don Schufro x Michellino owned by Codi Harrison Codi Harrison (USA): 69.079%, 68.289%, 68.026%, 67.237%, 68.421%, 68.211%
- Mr. Bumblebee: 2008 Danish Warmblood gelding by Sting x Welt Hit II, owned by Karen Blank Kevin Kohmann (USA): 68.421%, 64.211%, 62.763%, 68.816%, 64.079%, 65.658%
- Faro SQF: 2008 American Hanoverian gelding by Fidertanz 2 x Rotspot, owned by Nora Batchelder Nora Batchelder (USA): 65.789%, 66.974%, 65.526%, 63.684%, 63.816%, 65.518%