Anky van Grunsven and Salinero Denied Wild Card for Las Vegas World Cup Final, Two Americans Selected Instead
Thursday, April 2, 2009
The International Equestrian Federation (FEI) has denied Dutch World Cup dressage title holder Anky van Grunsven a wild card with last year's winner Salinero for the final in Las Vegas (16-19 April). Anky has qualified on her second horse, Painted Black, but they needed to have completed two qualifiers, and because of Anky's back issues, she had to withdraw from [#25795 override="Gothenberg." title="Gothenberg."] Instead two Americans were granted the Wild Card Status.
Americans Leslie Morse and Tip Top, and Jan Ebeling and Rafalca will instead make the short trip from California to Las Vegas to join Steffen Peters and Ashley Holzer as representatives of the North American League.
As reigning champions, van Grunsven and her Olympic Gold Medallist Salinero would have been granted a wild card had they contested two qualifiers — they completed one, at 's-Hertogenbosch, the Netherlands (19-21 March), finishing third to Isabell Werth of Germany.
- 2) Isabell Werth, Satchmo of Warum Nicht FRH, Germany
- 3) Adelinde Cornelissen, Parzival, Nederland
- 4) Hans Peter Minderhoud, Exquis Nadine, Nederland
- 5) Monica Theodorescu, Whisper, Germany
- 6) Jan Brink, Briar, Sweden
- 7) Jeannette Haazen, Nartan, Nederland
- 8) Minna Telde, Don Charly, Sweden
- 9) Michael Rapcewicz, Randon, Poland
- 10) Heath Ryan, Regardez Moi, Australia
- 11) Steffen Peters, Ravel, USA
- 12) Ashley Holzer, Pop Art, Canada
- 13) Marco Bernal, Diamore, Colombia
- 14) Leslie Morse, Kingston, USA
- 15) Jan Ebeling, Rafalca, USA