Wellington, FL - Pablo Barrios (VEN) was able to score two wins today in the Young Jumper Championship (YJC) classes in two age divisions. When up on Simply The Best, owned by Joaquina Barrios, he was victorious in today's $1,000 YJC 5 Year Old Time First Round. Asta Torokvei of Toronto, ON, CAN and Chabadue, owned by Westhaven Farm, led the way in the $1,500 YJC 6 Year Old Time First Round class, while Barrios rode G&C Continus Grannus owned by Gustavo and Carolina Mirabal to the victory in the $1,500 YJC 7/8 Year Old Time First Round class.
The sixth week of the FTI WEF is sponsored by Bainbridge and runs through Sunday, February 21. The 2010 FTI Winter Equestrian Festival has 12 weeks of competition that conclude on April 4, 2010, and they will be awarding almost $6 million in prize money through the circuit.
Philip DeVita, Jr. designed the courses in the Mogavero Arena for all of the young jumper classes this morning. In both the 5 and 6 Year Old classe,s there were ten numbered obstacles in the timed first round, which included an in and out and a two stride.
The $1,000 YJC 5 Year Old class began first thing this morning. The time allowed in the first round was 71 seconds. A field of eight competitors came out to compete, but only four successfully navigated the course and produced a clean round. It was Simply The Best and Barrios that proved to be the best of the morning. The pair stopped the timers at 52.815 seconds, which was good enough to take the lead. Kelly Soleau and Itty Bitty were right behind in 53.372 seconds for second place, while Peter Leone rode Lionshare Farm's Lyla to third in 64.340 seconds.
Simply the Best is a five-year-old mare by Couleur-Rubin xx Rio Grande.
Barrios smiled, "I bought her ten months ago for my wife, but she started jumping too good so I stole her away." He continued, "She is very consistent for a five-year-old, and this week is my first time doing the whole series with her because I felt she was too green to just go in the Friday class."
The $1,500 YJC 6 Year Old class was the second class in the Mogavero ring. The course was the same track as the previous class and there were 17 competitors in the class, but only 6 produced a clean timed round. It was Asta Torokvei and Chabadue, who rode to the win in a time of 53.469 seconds. Beth Underhill and her mount Hoolihoo, owned by Iron Horse Farm, were a close second, stopping the clock in 53.673 seconds. Frankie Chesler-Ortiz and Masquerade, owned by Sher-Al Farm, were third in 60.678 seconds.
Torokvei rode Chabadue, a six-year-old by Chacco Blue xx Kalibri, for Westhaven Farm.
The last of the young jumper classes to wrap up the morning was the $1,500 YJC 7/8 Year Old class. Of the 41 entries that competed, 21 had a faultless round. The track consisted of 10 obstacles, which included a liverpool, an in-and-out, and a two stride. It was Pablo Barrios who dominated the division obtaining the first, second, and fourth spots on his horses, which were all owned by Gustavo & Carolina Mirabal.
The first of Barrios' entries to enter the ring was G&C Con Air. The pair produced a great time of 58.649 seconds that held the lead at the time, but would eventually finish in fourth. Laurie Bucci and her mount Arabella, owned by Peter Barry, produced a great effort that would later finish in third. The pair stopped the timers at 58.461 seconds. Barrios and G&C ODD came back to overtake Barrios' previous lead. The pair went straight to the top of the class in a time of 57.546 seconds, which would later be good enough for the second place finish.
G&C Continus Grannus was the last of Barrios' horses to enter, and it proved to be the best of the day in the young jumper class. The pair stopped the timers in a blazing time of 53.776 seconds, which would prevail as the lead and finish in the first place spot.
Barrios and the Mirabals found G&C Continus Grannus in Germany and purchased him last October. The eight-year-old gelding is by Contendro xx Argentinus and had last week off from showing. "He's been pretty good," Barrios said. "He came in fresh and jumped really well. This is the second class that he has won here."
Barrios had an advantage in the class after have two horses in the class before G&C Continus Grannus. "I was leading with my other horse, who is a big-strided horse," he explained, "(but with G&C Continus Grannus) I left strides out in the last two lines. It made him go pretty fast."
Tomorrow's action will continue with the $30,000 WEF Challenge Cup Round Six, which will run at 1 p.m. in the DeNemethy Ring while the hunters take center stage in the International Arena.
Final Results: $1,000 YJC 5 Year Old Time First Round
- 1. SIMPLY THE BEST, PABLO BARRIOS, JOAQUINA BARRIOS: 0/52.815
- 2. ITTY BITTY, KELLY SOLEAU, KELLY SOLEAU: 0/53.372
- 3. LYLA, PETER LEONE, LIONSHARE FARM: 0/64.340
- 4. AZZAM, RICHARD SPOONER, RICHARD SPOONER: 0/66.096
- 5. LANDLYSTS LEROY, LJUBOV KOCHETOVA, LJUBOV KOCHETOVA: 4/53.298
- 6. CHARLES PINKNEY, ALEXA LOWE, WINDSOR FARM SALES: 4/63.787
- 7. CAT BALOU, BEN ASSELIN, ATTACHE STABLES: 23/90.350
- 8. AV'E, KI MINORS, WENDY & CASEY HODGES: elim.
Final Results: $1,000 YJC 6 Year Old Time First Round
- 1. CHABADUE, ASTA TOROKVEI, WESTHAVEN FARM: 0/53.469
- 2. HOOLIHOO, BETH UNDERHILL, IRON HORSE FARM: 0/53.673
- 3. MASQUERADE, FRANKIE CHESLER-ORTIZ, SHER-AL FARM: 0/60.678
- 4. CAPRI, PETER LEONE, LIONSHARE FARM: 0/61.916
- 5. ZENITH, RODRIGO PESSOA, JULIA HARRISON-LEE: 0/62.495
- 6. CANTARI, IBRAHIM BARAZI, HIDDEN TRAIL FARM: 0/62.985
- 7. LANDINA, JUAN ANDRES LARRAZABAL, JUAN ANDRES LARRAZABAL: 4/51.689
- 8. #11, LAURA KRAUT, THE FREEDOM GROUP: 4/57.348
- 9. TOMCAT, TOMMY BRAWLEY, M/M BROWNLEE CURREY: 4/58.492
- 10. RMW QUENOTE, KYLE KING, ROCKY MOUNTAIN WARMBLOODS: 4/67.159
- 11. SUNDAY, KELLY KOSS, ATTACHE STABLES: 4/68.297
- 12. QUABRI D'ISLE, NICOLAS MIGNON, LEGACY STABLES LLC: 4/69.125
Final Results: $1,500 YJC 7/8 Year Old Time First Round
- 1. G&C CONTINUS GRANNUS, PABLO BARRIOS, GUSTAVO & CAROLINA MIRABAL: 0/53.776
- 2. G&C ODD, PABLO BARRIOS, GUSTAVO & CAROLINA MIRABAL: 57.546
- 3. ARABELLA, LAURIE BUCCI, PETER BARRY: 0/58.461
- 4. G&C CON AIR , PABLO BARRIOS, GUSTAVO & CAROLINA MIRABAL: 0/58.649
- 5. RMW PETN, MARY SHIRLEY, ROCKEY MOUNTAIN WARMBLOODS: 0/58.898
- 6. LIVERPOOL, JIMMY TORANO, TORANO & LAURENZO: 0/60.204
- 7. CANDIDAT DU MARQUET, ANGELA COVERT-LAWRENCE, ALLAIN BOLDUC: 0/60.244
- 8. VICTOR VDL, JONATHAN MCCREA, CANDY TRIBBLE: 0/60.552
- 9. LONDON, PAUL HARPEN, PAUL HARPEN: 0/61.531
- 10. WINDE, LAURA KRAUT, PIN OAK FARM: 0/61.966
- 11. CANUTE, SAMANTHA SCHAEFER, SAMANTHA SCHAEFER: 0/63.107
- 12. VENTI, CARA RAETHER, TRELAWNY FARM LLC: 0/63.155
The 2010 FTI Winter Equestrian Festival has 12 weeks of top competition running from January 13 through April 4. WEF is run by Equestrian Sport Productions, LLC, and Wellington Equestrian Partners and held at the Palm Beach International Equestrian Center. All 12 shows are "AA" rated and Jumper Rated 6, and more than $5.5 million in prize money will be awarded.
Photo Credit: Simply the Best and Pablo Barrios captured the win in the $1,000 YJC 5 Year Old Time First Round class in the sixth week at the 2010 FTI Winter Equestrian Festival. Photo © 2010 Randi Muster/Mustphoto, Inc., Official Sport Photographer of the 2010 FTI Winter Equestrian Festival.