Wellington, FL - January 28, 2011 - Yann Candele of Caledon, CA, won today's $6,000 Spy Coast Farm 1.40m Speed Challenge over a starting field of 46 competitors with Liz Currie's Carolla Z.
The third week of the FTI WEF continues through Sunday, January 30. The 2011 FTI Winter Equestrian Festival has 12 weeks of competition through April 3, 2011, and they will be awarding more than $6 million in prize money through the circuit. The highlight jumper class is Saturday night's $40,000 Surpass Grand Prix, CSI 2* at 7 p.m.
Candele won over a course designed by Olaf Petersen Sr. of Germany. He went early in the order and set a pace that couldn't be beat in 61.175 seconds. There were 16 clear rounds in the class.
"I was early in the beginning," Candele said. "I saw the first horse going in, and they were very efficient. I just tried to let her take me and make some short turns. It paid off, obviously! She's a naturally fast horse."
Pablo Barrios (VEN) and G&C Napoleon were just behind for second place with a clear round in 61.507 seconds. Ronan McGuigan rode Chin Chon, owned by Eduardo F Cepeda, to third place in a time of 63.312 seconds.
Candele has been riding Carolla Z, a 12-year-old Zangersheide mare by Cumano x Landadel, for five years. Candele said of the mare, "She won a grand prix in September. We're just starting her here. She's had four classes and she was second twice and won the other two. It's a long circuit and so far she's been doing very, very well."
Future plans for the FTI WEF circuit include moving up from the 1.40m division. "We're planning on doing some 1.45m FEI classes. We'll go step by step. She'll go on holiday now because she's already shown two weeks. She'll have two weeks off, and we'll move her up slowly," Candele explained.
The 2011 FTI Winter Equestrian Festival will continue tomorrow with the $40,000 Surpass Grand Prix, CSI 2*, held in the International Arena at 7 p.m., with festivities beginning at 6 p.m.
Final Results: $6,000 Spy Coast Farm 1.40m Speed Challenge
- 1 CAROLLA Z YANN CANDELE LIZ CURRIE: 0/61.175
- 2 G&C NAPOLEON PABLO BARRIOS G&C FARM: 0/61.507
- 3 CHIN CHON RONAN MCGUIGAN EDUARDO F CEPEDA: 0/63.312
- 4 STREET OF DIAMONDS VICTOR AMAYA GOTHAM ENTERPRIZES: 0/64.370
- 5 WINDE LAURA KRAUT PIN OAK FARM: 0/64.403
- 6 AMOROSO KATHERINE DINAN GRANT ROAD PARTNERS: 0/67.408
- 7 OBOURG LISA JACQUIN FLINTWOODE FARMS LLC: 0/68.831
- 8 NADYLEEN ALEXA LOWE WINDSOR FARM SALES: 0/68.982
- 9 EMPIRE STATE VICTOR AMAYA GOTHAM ENTERPRIZES: 0/70.053
- 10 DOZENT KATHERINE NEWMAN MIMI ABEL SMITH: 0/70.183
- 11 DONNA EVITA LAURA KRAUT THE FREEDOM GROUP: 0/70.442
- 12 CASA BLANCA LA SILLA LISA JACQUIN FLINTWOODE FARMS LLC: 0/71.984
Photo Credit: Yann Candele and Carolla Z won the $6,000 Spy Coast Farm 1.40m Speed Challenge during week 3 at the 2011 FTI Winter Equestrian Festival. Photo © Sportfot, Official Sport Photographer of the FTI Winter Equestrian Festival, www.sportfot.com.