Do you wish you could stop those biting insects from driving your horse crazy and protect your horse’s GI system from the damaging effects of internal microbial disruption? More than a pest, insects can spread infection and disease and over time, can injure equine skin tissue and affect the horse's immune system. Many horse owners have tried external treatments that include everything from fly sheets to sprays, to shampoos and coat conditioners only to see their horse suffer from inflammation, scabs and patchy coats.
Fortunately there are combinations of natural ingredients that, taken internally, can help support your horse's natural defenses against insects and aid in fending them off. Special formulations of these natural ingredients can actually deter or repel biting insects. Jack Grogan, Certified Nutritionist and Chief Science Officer for Uckele Health & Nutrition, identifies these natural solutions and how they work.
There are numerous natural products that support immune function, skin health and help reduce the damaging effects of insect bites:
• MSM, DL-Methionine, N-Acetyl Cysteine and Garlic supply natural compounds that reduce oxidative stress.
• The B Vitamins Thiamine and Pyridoxine support immune, skin and gut health while also supporting the body's ability to recover from the damage that can be caused by biting insects.
• The amino acid N-Acetyle Cysteine is a powerful antioxidant that supplies bio-available sulfur and supports immune function.
• Diatomacious earth has a powerful, beneficial effect on the internal microbial balance in the GI tract.
Several natural internal insect repellents are also an important part of any insect control formula, and fortunately many of these are available for use in these products:
• Garlic, MSM and Thiamine supply essential sulfur compounds that can serve as natural repellents.
• The mineral Iodine has been used both topically and internally as a natural antiseptic and repellent.
• The plant based Pumpkin Seed and Grapefruit Seed extracts are near the top of the list for their repellent properties as well as immune support.
Supporting digestive health and wellness is also an important consideration, particularly since about 70% of the immune system occurs in gut associated lymphoid tissue. Supporting digestive health also aids in reducing the negative impact of parasitic issues, with natural fibers such as psyllium husk and Guar Gum support digestive health and detoxification.
Jack Grogan, CN, has worked extensively in the fields of biology, biochemistry and nutrition, is an expert in tissue mineral balancing, and has experienced notable success in balancing mineral chemistry to strengthen the basic metabolism and improve efficiency in horses.
Uckele Health & Nutrition has built a reputation over 50 years creating a broad spectrum of nutritional supplements from concept to shelf, also providing private labeling and custom manufacturing for reputable companies and organizations worldwide. With decades of nutritional knowledge and experience, Uckele’s team of experts develop, formulate and manufacture a vast array of high potency, balanced nutritional supplements to support optimal health and performance at the highest level.