International Dressage Rider, Trainer and Coach Carole Grant headlined the February 8, 2011 Sho Clothes Shop Talk. Her presentation about Buying & Selling Horses brought many useful tips to an eager crowd. In fact the evening was so successful, many people did not want to leave! About Carole Grant - Following are just a few highlights from Carole’s incredibly long list of achievements: Double Gold Medal Winner at the 1983 Pam Am Games; 1982 World Equestrian Games; Master Coach of International Riders including the Pam Am Games & Olympics; Awarded the Prestigious Award Whitney Stone Memorial Trophy from the USET. Learn more about Carole at www.equistrideinternational.com.
Among the many valuable nuggets of information, Carole emphasized:
- You can not ride the x-rays, but they are important for resale.
- The professional will stand behind you because they want your repeat business if that horse does not work out.
- Go into the stall and pick up the horse’s hooves. Doing this allows you to detect if he has the shivers (shakes). It also lets you know his character in the stall.
- Three strikes and the horse is out. If the horse has 2 strikes decide if you can live with those 2 strikes.
- Obtain the horse’s show results from the Federation National. Every countryhas one and you can confirm the horse’s age.
- Ride the horse 3 times before deciding on the purchase.
- At the vetting, a good vet will present any faults. Then, the vet, trainer and client can discuss these openly.
Door Prizes Winners:
$50.00 Gift Certificate from Mary Ellen Sensor, Saddle Trail Reality
(www.saddletrailreality.com) – Winner: Diana McNaughton
$50.00 Gift Certificate from Doug Hundt, Saddle Trail Reality – Winner: Pam Link
Back On Track Saddle Pad – Winner: Chris Carroll
Back On Track - No Bows – Winner: Sue Koldstad
Special Thank You to GCDA for their contribution!
“Shop Talk,” a monthly gathering of equestrians, is presented by Sho Clothes at their Wellington dressage retail location. It is held in association with the Gold Coast Dressage Association. “We thoroughly enjoy hosting ‘Shop Talk’ each month,” Hundt said. “We host incredible speakers and each Shop Talk audience enjoys the plethora of information presented.”
Sho Clothes is located at 3220 Fairlane Farms Road in Wellington, Florida. They specialize in top dressage clothing, accessories & gifts and they have become THE dressage store for riders from around the world. Sho Clothes features a wide variety of the finest dressage riding apparel, horse-related gifts, jewelry and many accessories. And the mobile boutique is fully-stocked, appearing at many of the top Florida Dressage shows. Sho Clothes is an authorized dealer for Pikeur, Cavallo, Kentucky, Kingsland, Back on Track & more. We stock the latest dressage fashions and proudly represent these top brands. For more information on Sho Clothes or “Shop Talk,” visit www.shoclothes.com or call Michele at 561-319-2121.