Lexington, KY - Applications for the United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) Youth Sportsman's Award are being accepted by the applicable USEF recognized associations or international discipline associations through October 1, 2011. Now in its sixth year, the award recognizes young equestrians who exhibit exceptional leadership potential, serve as positive role models for their peers, demonstrate an ongoing commitment and dedication to the promotion of equestrian sport, are involved in their community, and exemplify positive sportsmanship principles.
All national winners will be honored during the 2012 USEF Annual Meeting. Each winner will receive a $500 grant to be paid to the educational program of his or her choice, and will be invited to attend the USEF Annual Meeting as the Federation's guest, to attend committee and board meetings, a career opportunity session and awards banquet. Meals, accommodations and travel expenses (up to $500) will be provided for all who are invited to participate.
The overall winner of the 2011 USEF Youth Sportsman's Award will receive a $1,000 grant payable to the educational program of choice and a USEF Life Membership valued at $2,500, a commemorative trophy, as well as an invitation to the USEF Annual Meeting and career session. The winner also will be one of the nominees for the USEF Junior Equestrian of the Year Award.
Applications are available online at http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/Youth/sportsmansAward.aspx or through any USEF Recognized Affiliate or International Discipline Association. A listing of contact information for these affiliates is available on the Youth Sportsman's Award webpage. Each USEF Recognized Affiliate may select a National Winner, who will be considered for the overall award.
To be considered for the 2011 USEF Youth Sportsman's Award, applicants must:
· Have a current membership in good standing with the USEF
· Have a current membership in good standing with a USEF Recognized Affiliate or International Discipline Association (for affiliate contacts visit http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/Youth/sportsmansAward.aspx)
· Be at least 17 years old as of December 1, 2010
· Demonstrate an ongoing commitment and dedication to the promotion of equestrian sport
· Serve as a positive role model for peers
· Participate at any level of competition - local, regional or national
· Be involved with their community
· Exhibit characteristics that exemplify positive sportsmanship principles
For more information regarding the USEF Youth Sportsman's Award, please contact Jennifer Mellenkamp, Director, National Breed/Discipline Affiliates and Youth Programs, at email@example.com or (859) 225-6955.
Photo: Kelsey Kimbler receives the 2010 USEF Youth Sportsman's Award from David O'Connor. Photo by Geoff Bugbee/USEF Archives.