National Reined Cow Horse Association million dollar Rider Jon Roeser won the NRCHA Stakes Open Championship on March 25 in Queen Creek, Arizona, by 4.5 points - earning a Bob's Custom Saddle sponsored by Julie-Anne O'Rear, a Gist Silversmiths buckle, a $50 gift certificate from Santa Cruz Biotechnologies, and a C.R. Morrison medallion.
Roeser was riding Heart Of A Remedy, by Heart Of A Fox out of SPF Remedys Response by Smart Peppy Doc. Bred by Clear Lake Land & Cattle Ranch of Reno, Nevada, Heart Of A Remedy is now owned by Sprig Haven Farms of San Jose, California.
The pair started out with a 219 in the herd work, and followed that with a 219 in the rein work. "I drew well in the herd. After that I just had a feeling about the day. He was so soft and responsive in everything we did," said Jon of Lemoore, California. But the 5-year-old bay stallion and the veteran trainer weren't finished. When Roeser saw his cow for the fence work, he knew they had a chance to score big.
"I liked the cow from the herd work - I knew it was good. We didn't stay long on the end. We got a good right turn and got out good for another big left turn. The cow still had a little gas so we circled really fast - it was great," he said. The judges agreed and rewarded the pair with a 227 - the highest cow work of the event!
Jon owns Heart Of A Remedy's sire, Heart Of A Fox, with Karen Twisselman. "We won about $120,000 on him. He was a really nice horse and had a good career even though he had some bad luck," he explained. Jon said, "I thank my wife, Tanya, and my son, Clay, for everything."
It was an emotional day for Doug Williamson, who won the open stakes reserve championship on ARC Sparkin Chics, owned by Barbara Hastings. Unfortunately Hastings, who had been battling breast cancer, succumbed to the disease during the event. "Barbara gave me the opportunity to ride several great horses. She was a wonderful person, friend, and customer. Her absence will leave a void in our barn and hearts," Doug said.
The reserve title came with a check for $18,560, a Gist Silversmiths buckle, and a C.R. Morrison medallion. ARC Sparkin Chics is a 4-year-old stallion by Chic Please out of Sailing Spark by Shining Spark. Prior to the Stakes, ARC Sparkin Chics had lifetime earnings of nearly $57,000.
Riding top reined cow horses is a family tradition for the Roeser family - as was evidenced at the NRCHA Stakes, when Jon Roeser won the open championship and AQHA Professional Horseman Dan Roeser took the intermediate open title. Dan was riding Roosters Rozalena, and finished with 645.5 composite. The win was worth $5,745, and came with a Gist Silversmiths buckle and a C.R. Morrison plaque.
Roeser and the 5-year-old mare began the competition with a 211 in the herd work, and a 211.5 in the rein work - but finished with a spectacular 223 in the cow work. "Things were fairly average in the herd and rein work - I was just trying to stay in there." Dan added, "I drew a really good cow in the fence work and I have a really good fence horse - so I knew my horse could do it if I didn't screw up!"
Roeser purchased Roosters Rozalena, by Gallo Del Cielo out of Rosezana Lena by Doc O'Lena, as a yearling at the NRCHA Snaffle Bit Futurity Sales, and then sold her to Rush Creek Ranch LLC. He explained, "She's done pretty well. As a 3-year-old she didn't have it all together, but she had a good 4-year-old year and her 5-year-old year just started off well, too!"
The Marsing, Idaho, trainer noted that he had a great group of friends that helped him. "I have a whole bunch to thank - Jake Telford, Brandon Buttars, Ted Robinson, Zane Davis, and of course my brother Jon. I always help them and they always help me - I really appreciate them," Dan said.
Shawn Hays took Thecrowdlovesme to the intermediate open reserve championship with a score of 645, winning $4,001. Thecrowdlovesme, a 4-year-old stallion by Smart Chic Olena out of Shine Smartly by Shining Spark, is owned by Yellow Creek Ranch of Dickson, Tennessee. Bred by Shawn's wife, Tammy, and father-in-law, Walter Greeman, the intermediate open reserve title pushed Thecrowdlovesme's lifetime earnings to almost $20,000.
- Open: Heart Of A Remedy (2007 bay stallion, Heart Of A Fox-SPD Remedys Response by Smart Peppy Doc, bred by Clear Lake Land & Cattle Ranch of Reno, Nevada, owned by Sprig Haven Farms of San Jose, California), ridden by Jon Roeser of Lemoore, California
- Intermediate Open: Roosters Rozalena (2007 sorrel mare, Gallo Del Cielo-Rosezana Lena by Doc O'Lena, bred by Black Rock Ranch LLC of Harrison, Idaho, owned by Rush Creek Ranch LLC of Long Creek, Oregon), ridden by Dan Roeser of Marsing, Idaho
- Limited Open: Fifth Avenue Lena (2008 sorrel mare, Lenas Wright On-Fifth Avenue Cash by Nu Cash, bred by Lyle Lovett of Spring, Texas, owned by Coal Creek Ranch of Ridgeway, Colorado), ridden by Jeff Veitch of Montrose, Colorado
- Non-Pro: Oaks Dual Rey (2007 sorrel gelding, TR Dual Rey-Docs Pearly Oak by Doc's Oak, bred by Jamie Traiteur of Smithton, Illinois, owned by Carol Roberts of Ojai, California), ridden by Carol Roberts
- Intermediate & Novice Non-Pro: SG Playin The Stars (2007 sorrel stallion, Playin Stylish-Hickory Starlight by Grays Starlight, owned and bred by G. Scott Gaddy of Clements, California), ridden by Scott Gaddy
- Novice Horse Open: One Fabulous Time (2008 blue roan stallion, One Time Pepto-Cat Mist by High Brow Cat, bred by Matthews Cutting Horses LLC of Warsaw, North Carolina, owned by One Fabulous Time LLC of Scottsbluff, Nebraska), ridden by Todd Crawford of Blanchard, Oklahoma
- Level 1 Open: Cures All (2008 sorrel gelding, Peptoboonsmal-Lenas Lacy Moon by Doc O'Lena, owned and bred by Kevin & Sydney Knight of Weatherford, Texas), ridden by Jason Gay of Scottsdale, Arizona
- Amateur: Vandas Spark (2007 palomino mare, Shining Spark-Smart Vandalena by Smart Little Lena, bred by Kirk's Rockin K Ranch Inc. of Celina, Texas, owned by Jake & Jessie Telford of Caldwell, Idaho), ridden by Jessie Telford
- Non-Pro Limited: Cee Mr Cats Merada (2008 sorrel gelding, Cats Merada-Cee Miss Money Rio by Doc Quixote, bred by Michael Pressley of Merced, California, owned by Linda Wood of Rolling Hills Estates, California), ridden by Linda Wood
Photo: Jon Roeser and Heart Of A Remedy 2012 NRCHA Stakes Open Champions by Primo Morales