Mill Spring, NC - Capturing their second victory in a two-week span, Richie Moloney (IRL) and Slieveanorra earned another victory in George H. Morris Arena, this time in the $35,000 1.45m Horseware® Ireland Speed Stake at Tryon International Equestrian Center (TIEC).
Moloney and Slieveanorra crossed through the timers in 56.09 seconds to push Samuel Parot (CHI) and Atlantis to second place, as the pair finished in 56.30 seconds. Emanuel Andrade (VEN) and Bon Jovi captured third place honors, completing the track in 57.67 seconds.
Competition at TIEC continues tomorrow featuring the $216,000 Tryon Estates Grand Prix CSI 4*. The second annual TIEC Car Show will begin at 3:00 p.m., and entertainment is set to start at 7:15 p.m. Competition will commence at 8:00 p.m.
Catsy Cruz (MEX) is the course designer for this week's FEI tracks in the George H. Morris Arena and is known for her strong building technique, which asks riders questions of technicality and quickness in each class. Moloney and Slieveanorra rode a neat and fast round, which placed them atop the leaderboard.
With 21 combinations contesting the track, Moloney had the advantage of tackling the course last in the order of go, already piloting his other mount Alsvid through the course. Seven pairs rode to finish with fault-free trips, but Moloney left everything on the line, entering the ring with an understanding that he would need to best the 56.30 seconds earned by Parot.
"He was very fast around the turns in between the lines and I think that's where he upped the time," said Moloney. "He's naturally a quick horse and that helps in these speed classes. He felt great and is very aware of what is going on in the ring."
When Moloney walked the course, he felt that while there were more efficient options available, he preferred to stick with a fast and straightforward approach, ultimately paying off with a victory.
"He always has a chance because he jumps up, but doesn't waste time in the air. I thought that there were a couple of options to leave out strides and we didn't even need to do that because it still worked out well," he explained.
The 2002 Irish Sport Horse gelding (Voltaire x Flagmount Diamond) owned by Equinimity LLC, has been a staple in Moloney's string for a number of years and performs with a sense of consistency and strength that make him an invaluable member of the top competition team.
"He's adjustable and naturally very quick around the turns. I don't always have to take the fastest option, because I know he will make it up around the rest of the course," he commented. "He's very experienced, and like I said last week, we try to save him for classes we know he will do well in and this was one of those occasions."
Moloney will look to continue his success throughout the week as top mount Carrabis Z is entered in the $216,000 Tryon Estates Grand Prix CSI 4* tomorrow evening, while Alsvid and Slieveanorra will both contest the $35,000 1.50m Suncast® Classic on Sunday, July 24. Looking forward to a rest for the horses in the coming weeks, but also already preparing for a strong fall campaign, Moloney reflected on his team's success so far this season.
"I'm just pleased that my horses are all going well. We're picking up a good results at almost every competition and going forward I think we'd like to keep that," he said.
For more information on TIEC and to see a full list of results please visit www.tryon.com.
Final Results $35,000 1.45m Horseware® Ireland Speed Stake
1. SLIEVEANORRA, 2002 Irish Sport Horse gelding by Voltaire x Flagmount Diamond RICHIE MOLONEY (IRL), Equinimity LLC: 0/56.09
2. ATLANTIS, 2003 Zangersheide gelding by Dodana W x Royal Bravour L SAMUEL PAROT (CHI), Samuel Parot: 0/56.3
3. BONJOVI, 2006 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Verdi x Corland EMANUEL ANDRADE (VEN), Emanuel Andrade: 0/57.67
4. ZABEL D, 2004 Dutch Warmblodo gelding by Larino x Ekstein KYLE TIMM (CAN), Sharn Worldey: 0/58.53
5. INDIGO, 2000 Dutch Warmblood stallion by Indoctro x Unknown MARGIE ENGLE (USA), Gladewinds Farms Inc.: 0/61.67
6. WAUW, 2003 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Quick Star x Chicke DANIELA STRANSKY (VEN), Stransky's Mission Farms, Inc.: 0/62.14
7. S&L THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS, 2008 Anglo European Warmblood by Arkan x Hairos DARRAGH KERINS (IRL), S&L Farms: 0/67.71
8. ALSVID, 2001 Hanoverian gelding by Esucdo I x Azur RICHIE MOLONEY (IRL), Equinimity LLC: 4/57.92
9. INDIANA 127, 2002 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Indoctro x Voltaire ANGEL KAROLYI (VEN), Hollow Creek Farm: 4/59.68
10. ARMANI SL Z, 2008 Zangersheide gelding by Asca Z x Cumano EUGENIO GARZA (MEX), El Milagro: 4/61.53
11. CHANEL B 2, 2005 Mecklenburg mare by Cellestial x C-Indoctro VICTORIA COLVIN (USA), Take The High Road LLC: 4/61.64
12. ALVARINO 2, 2005 Holsteiner stallion by Acodetto x Caretino JUAN PABLO GNECCO (COL), OnlyJumpers.com: 4/64.953