WELLINGTON, Florida - All 16 horses that were presented for veterinary inspection were passed Wednesday to start in the €100,000 (US$138,000) Exquis World Dressage Masters at the Palm Beach International Equestrian Center. Three German combinations, three Dutch, six from the U.S., three from Canada and one pair from Denmark will perform in the €10,000 (US$14,000) Nürnberger Versicherungsgruppe Grand Prix at 1 p.m. It is the only CDI5* competition--the highest level of dressage competition--in the Western Hemisphere. Eight pairs will go on to the €30,000 (US$42,000) Moorland Grand Prix Special on Saturday afternoon and the other eight will compete in the €60,000 (US$84,000) Exquis Grand Prix Freestyle to Music under the lights on Saturday night.
Germany's Ulla Salzgeber on her 10-year-old mare, Wakana, will be first to go in the Grand Prix to kick off the second year of the globe's richest lineup of dressage events. A gala celebration will be held in the centerpiece International Arena on Friday night featuring the training of the freestyle horses and riders along with equestrian entertainment.
WHDT World Sports that televises major equestrian events from Palm Beach will broadcast the Grand Prix, the Grand Prix Special, the Grand Prix Freestyle and highlights of the Friday night gala in prime time in high definition to an estimated five million residents of South Florida. The broadcasts will be aired one day after the event.
The World Dressage Masters organization printed 5,000 copies of a full-color souvenir program as a gift to spectators. Spectators will also be able to participate in the $10,000 Back on Track product giveaway that was popular in 2009.
The competitors in Thursday's Grand Prix:
- 1:00 PM -- Ulla Salzgeber and Wakana, Germany
- 1:10 PM -- Belinda Trussell and Anton, Canada
- 1:20 PM -- Elisabeth Austin and Oliver, USA
- 1:30 PM -- Anja Plönzke and Le Mont d'Or, Germany
- 1:40 PM -- Leslie Morse and Tip Top, USA
- 1:50 PM -- Ashley Holzer and Pop Art, Canada
- 2:00 PM -- Isabell Werth and Satchmo, Germany
- 2:10 PM -- Aat van Essen and Premier, The Netherlands
- 2: 35 PM -- Mikala Munter Gundersen and Leonberg, Denmark
- 2:45 PM -- Pierre St. Jacques and Lucky Tiger, USA
- 2:55 PM -- Christa Laarakkers and Ovation, The Netherlands
- 3:05 PM -- Michael Barisone and Olympus, USA
- 3:15 PM -- Diane Creech and Devon L, Canada
- 3:25 PM -- Staffen Peters and Ravel, USA
- 3:35 PM -- Anky van Grunsven and Salinero, The Netherlands
- 3:45 PM -- Tina Konyot and Calecto, USA
The World Dressage Masters is a sports and marketing initiative of equestrian innovator Exquis, international sports marketing agency, SportBizz, and Equestrian Sport Productions of the USA.
WDM utilizes marketing strategies and innovation to enhance the sport of dressage worldwide.
WDM is sponsored by Exquis, Moorland Stables and Moorland Investments, Nürnberger Versicherungsgruppe and Jerich International.