Washington DC- Prior to the Puissance, a $50,000 International Jumper Speed Final was held in a faults converted format, sponsored by Rushy Marsh Farm and AAA Equestrian. Last year, Belgium’s Olivier Philippaerts won the competition, and this year it was his twin brother, Nicola, who took top honors.
Twenty-one entries jumped the Anthony D’Ambrosio (USA) designed course, and Philippaerts earned the winning prize with a clear round in 53.48 seconds aboard Ludo Philippaerts and Ben Beevers’ H&M Harley vd Bisschop. Colombia’s Daniel Bluman was close behind with a clear round in 53.86 seconds aboard Blue Star Investments’ Conconcreto Believe to finish second. Ireland’s Conor Swail had the best time of 52.81 seconds riding Susan & Ariel Grange’s Cita, but one rail came down to add four seconds to his time and put the pair in third place.
Commenting on his plan, Philippaerts detailed, “I was not sure about some of the lines, but I saw a few doing six (strides) to the last one and then five strides from #8 to 9. My horse has quite a big stride, so I was sure I had to do that. It was a good decision. I came quite short to jump #2, so I had to follow (through). Then at the combination I had seven strides normal, and the wall came quite fast. It was difficult. You needed to be quite careful.”
“My horse is only eight years old, so he does not have much experience yet, but I know it is a fast horse,” Philippaerts continued. “It looked fast enough today, so I was happy. I do not want to do too much with him. I think he is for sure a very promising horse for next year. I wanted to take him as a second horse here and have him grow a little bit at the higher level. He does it well for the moment.”
“He is very scopey, very careful,” the rider added. “He has a lot of blood, but he always seems to stay quite quiet. It is really good because as they get older they will get quieter themselves. He is just a super horse.”
WIHS has been a great show for the Philippaerts family in recent years and Nicola enjoys the great competition and atmosphere each year. “It is a fantastic show. I’m always happy to come back here every year,” he acknowledged. “It is always nice when the crowd is cheering you on. It is very motivating. It’s nice to ride here with this crowd.”
For full results, please visit www.wihs.org.
Final Results: $50,000 International Open Jumper Speed Final (Faults Converted), sponsored by Rushy Marsh Farm and AAA Equestrian
1. 60 Nicola Philippaerts (BEL) H&M Harley vd Bisschop 53.48 grey / 8y / G / Dulf van den Bisschop / Coronado / BWP / Ludo Philippaerts – Ben Beevers
2. 3 Daniel Bluman (COL) Conconcreto Believe 53.86 bay / 9y / M / Ukato / Burggraaf / KWPN / Blue Star Investments, Alberto Simhon
3. 32 Conor Swail (IRL) Cita 56.81 bay / 9y / M / Casall / Pik Ramiro / HOLST / Susan & Ariel Grange
4. 738 Catherine Nicole Tyree (USA) Free Style vh Polderhof 58.06 chest / 10y / M / Kashmir van Schuttershof / Chatman / BWP / Mary & Joseph Tyree
5. 59 Jos Verlooy (BEL) Caddie R 58.28 bay / 11y / S / Come Back II / Lucky Light / DWB / Eurohorse Bvba
6. 1203 McLain Ward (USA) HH Ashley 58.40 chest / 15y / M / Acorado / Chasseur / HANN / Double H Farm
7. 79 Aaron Vale (USA) Quidams Good Luck 59.07 bay / 9y / G / Quidam’s Rubin / Grannus / HANN / Troy Glaus
8. 97 Olivier Philippaerts (BEL) H&M Challenge vd Begijnakker 60.06 bay / 13y / G / Chellano Z / Palestro vd Begijnakker / ZANG / Bart Keisse
9. 48 Conor O’Regan (IRL) Barlando 60.78 bay / 9y / G / Orlando / Baloubet du Rouet / SWB / Erin Walker
10. 88 Katherine A. Dinan (USA) Checkpoint U 64.05 11y / G / Casall / Lorentin I / HOLST / Grant Road Partners LLC
11. 17 Laura Kraut (USA) Andretti S 66.08 chest / 10y / G / Corland / Animo / KWPN / Stars and Stripes
12. 7 Margie Goldstein-Engle (USA) Indigo 66.35 grey / 15y / S / Indoctro / Unknown / DWB / Griese, Garber, Hidden Creek & Gladewinds