Del Mar, CA - Riders competed in the $15,000 CashCall Mortgage Futurity Final on an unusually wet and rainy Southern California Sunday afternoon. Francisco Pasquel and his new mount Naranjo trumped the competition in blazing fashion and went home with the top prize. Those not quite ready to step into the grand prix classes can gain valuable mileage with this age-restricted series and final dedicated to horses under 10 years old. In addition to the experience, each class offers good prize money.
Argentinian FEI course designer Ivan Tagle designed a fair track for the young horses in the class. The seventh element, a vertical-oxer-vertical triple combination, each one stride apart, proved to be a tough question, as it was there that rails fell for a third of the riders. Eight qualified for the jump-off, including Friday's Markel Insurance Grand Prix winner Lane Clarke, today aboard MH Wardance. Three of the eight in the jump-off round went double clean.
Arturo Parada Vallejo on his own Estano set the pace, clean in 42.84. Third to go, Pasquel and the talented Naranjo, shaved seconds off the leading time with tight turns and bold angles, clean in 39.68. Last to go, Vani Khosla on her own Billy Mexico, knocked Vallejo from the second spot, stopping the clock clean in 42.54. But no one could catch Pasquel. A new partnership, Pasquel purchased Naranjo less than two months ago.
"He's eight years old," Pasquel said. "I bought him in France." The connection between the two during the class gave no hint of their short time together. "I'm so excited for the future with this horse. It's my second show with him," exclaimed the winner. Incredibly rare in the summer months of Southern California, the last remnants of Tropical Storm Dolores created some wet weather. Not a problem for Pasquel. "We got all wet - Calgary-style in Cali!" Pasquel laughed. "But it was a super course design. In the end, the footing was amazing here."
RESULTS $15,000 CashCall Mortgage Futurity Final, 1.40m
Place - Entry Number - Horse - Rider - Owner - Faults/Time
1. 772 - Naranjo - Francisco Pasquel - Francisco Pasquel - 0/0/39.684
2. 571 - Billy Mexico - Vani Khosla - Vani Khosla - 0/0/42.545
3. 912 - Estano - Arturo Parada Vallejo - Arturo Parada Vallejo - 0/0/42.843
4. 392 - MH Wardance - Lane Clarke - MH Warbucks, LLC - 0/4/42.233
5. 243 - SIG Firecracker - Susan Hutchison - SIG International - 0/4/42.550
6. 917 - Iris von Heike - Jacob Saiib - Jacob Saiib - 0/4/44.024
7. 429 - Desdemona - Nathalie Manning - Idyllic Imports - 0/4/47.190
8. 863 - Clueless P - Lauren Hester - Hester Equestrian, Inc. - 0/8/42.892
9. 271 - Cupilor - Nick Gegen - Cross Creek Farms, Inc. - 4/75.265
10. 277 - Consider 5 - Peter Petschenig - Pam Bilek and Peter Petschenig - 4/80.801