Lake Placid, New York—June 28, 2011— Competition opened Tuesday at the Intercat, Inc. Lake Placid Horse Shows. The two-week long horse show series, which features the 42nd Annual Intercat, Inc. Lake Placid Horse Show, June 28 – July 3, and the 34th Annual Intercat, Inc. I Love New York Horse Show, July 5 -10, is famous for attracting many of the nation's top riders to its North Elba Showgrounds. Once again, Olympians, past Lake Placid Grand Prix champions and international show jumping stars headline the show's entries.
Among those entered to compete are Olympic veteran and Lake Placid Grand Prix Champion, Nona Garson; two- time Olympic team Silver medalist, Anne Kursinski; Olympic veteran and seven-time Lake Placid Grand Prix Champion, Margie Engle; Olympic veteran and Lake Placid Grand Prix Champion, Norman Dello Joio; past Lake Placid Grand Prix Champions, Laura Chapot, Darragh Kenny, Jimmy Torano, and Mark Leone; and show jumping stars Candice King, Georgina Bloomberg, Danielle Torano and Callan Solem.
Highlighting this year's Intercat Inc. Lake Placid Horse Shows are two Grand Prix events— The $75,000 Mirror Lake Inn Grand Prix of Lake Placid presented by Intercat Inc, on Sunday, July 3 and the $75,000 Woodlea Farms Grand Prix, presented by Intercat Inc, on Saturday, July 9. Following the $75,000 Woodlea Farms Grand Prix, the Richard and Diana Feldman Perpetual Challenge Trophy for Excellence is awarded to the rider who has won the most combined prize money in Lake Placid’s two Grand Prix.
"The Intercat, Inc. Lake Placid Horse Shows have a long history of hosting many of the nation's best riders as they compete for top honors in our two prestigious Grand Prix events," said Richard M. Feldman, Chairman of the Lake Placid Horse Show Association. "Once again, we welcome these riders to Lake Placid, and hope that everybody will join us for what is guaranteed to be two of the most exciting Grand Prix events of the summer!"
Also returning this year to Lake Placid is the $15,000 USHJA International Hunter Derby, presented by Eastern Hay and Purina Mills, on Sunday, July 10, in the Richard M. Feldman Grand Prix Field. The Derby, which was an instant favorite when it made its debut at last year's horse show, adds a fun and unique spin on traditional hunter classes as Derby participants compete over a course of jumps designed to simulate natural obstacles set in the horse show's large grass Grand Prix field.
Competition highlights for the 42nd Intercat, Inc. Lake Placid Horse Show include:
- Tuesday, June 28 – Opening Day; Hunter Warm-Up Classes; Pre-Green Working Hunter Classes; Schooling Jumper Classes; Window Decorating Contest Begins
- Wednesday, June 29 – 1.35m Lake Placid Summit Resort Hotel & Suites Jumper Class; Deeridge Farms Amateur-Owner Jumper Class; 1.45m Whiteface Mountain Open Jumper Stake; 1.30m WPTZ News Channel 5 Jumper Class
- Thursday, June 30 – Deeridge Farms Amateur-Owner Jumper Class; 1.30m Lake Placid Lodge Jumper Class; The Hooker Family Children’s Jumper Classes; 1.40m Beacon Hill Horse Transportation Open Jumper Class; 1.40m High Peaks Resort Open Jumper Class
- Friday, July 1 – 1.35m Adirondack Flying Service Jumper Class; Deeridge Farms Amateur-Owner Jumper Class; 1.40J.Lohr Vineyards & Wines Open Jumper Stake
- Saturday, July 2 – Crowne Plaza Resort North American League (NAL) Adult Amateur Jumper Classics; Adirondack Life Amateur-Owner Jumper Classic; Sidelines Low Junior Jumper Classic; 1.40m Jamaica Tent class; The Hooker Family Children’s Jumper Classes
- Sunday, July 3 –$75,000 Mirror Lake Inn Grand Prix of Lake Placid, presented by Intercat,Inc., Pepsi Beverages Co. High Junior Jumper Classic; Farm Vet High Amateur-Owner Jumper Classic; Juliam Farm Lead Line Class; C.M. Hadfield’s Saddlery Parade of Champions; Price Chopper NAL Children's Jumper Classics; Horse Show Services NAL Adult Amateur Hunter Classics
The 2011 Intercat, Inc. Lake Placid Horse Show and I Love New York Horse Show sponsors include: A Placid Life, Adirondack Flying Service, Adirondack Life, Adirondack Store, Alessandro Albanese, Animal Planet, Anonymous, Arbor Hill Farm (The Boggio Family), Bainbridge Companies, LLC, Beacon Hill Horse Transportation, Inc., Cape Air, Carr-Hughes Productions, Casella Waste Management, Jane Forbes Clark, Clifton Park Rental Center, C.M. Hadfield's Saddlery, Inc., Community Bank, N.A., Crowne Plaza Resort & Golf Club, David R. Fowler Custom Tack Trunks, Deeridge Farms, Der Dau Custom Made Boots, Devoucoux, Inc, Eastern Hay, Equifit, Inc., FarmVet, Inc., Fox Run, Ltd., Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, James Harpel, Hollow Brook Associates LLC, High Peaks Resort, Horseshoe Trail Farm, LLC, Horse Show Services, Horse Watch, Intercat, Inc., J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines, Jamaica Tent Company, Janney Montgomery Scott, LLC, Juliam Farm, Kistler Buildings, Lake Placid Lodge, Lake Placid Summit Resort Hotel & Suites, Meadow Grove Farm, Mirror Lake Inn, Mountain Horse, Bobby & Melissa Murphy, On A Fence Designs, ORDA - Whiteface Mountain, P. F. Farm, Parlanti USA, Pepsi Beverages Company, Price Chopper, Purina Mills, Quiet Hill Farm, ROOST - LP-Essex County Visitors Bureau, Ruthie's Run, Sam Edelman Shoes, Sand Castle Farm, Saratoga Eagle, Lora & Michael Schultz, Sidelines, SmartPak, Storm Ridge Capital, LLC, Stretton Enterprises, Inc., The Brown Dog Deli & Wine Bar, The Cottage Café, The Hooker Family, The Levy Family, The Spa @ The Mirror Lake Inn, The Tack Shelter, The Whiteface Lodge, Time Warner Cable, Town of North Elba Park District, USA Animo, Woodlea Farms, WPTZ News Channel 5 and Y-106.3.
Admission to the Lake Placid and I Love New York Horse Shows is just $2.00 on weekdays and $5.00 on weekends. Children under the age of 12 are admitted free and discounts are offered to groups of 20 or more. Tickets are available at the gate. Show your Price Chopper AdvantEdge Card, and your admission fee is 50% off.
For more information, please call the Lake Placid Horse Show Association at (518) 523-9625 or visit www.lakeplacidhorseshow.com.