In 2008, Morgan Holmes of Sarasota, Florida made a deal with her father, Jay. When she won a National Reined Cow Horse Association World Championship in the Youth Limited division, she could begin competing in the Youth Bridle. Holmes made good on the deal, winning the 2008 Youth Limited World title. She returned to the First Community Credit Union Spur Arena in San Angelo, Texas, to win the 2009 World Championship in the Youth Bridle.
“I asked dad if he wanted to make a bet this year – he said no,” laughed Holmes immediately following the awards ceremony, where she received $540, a Bob’s Custom Saddle sponsored by Jackson Land & Cattle Company, a Gist Silversmiths buckle sponsored by Knight Haulers, Rios of Mercedes boots from Rios of Mercedes, a commemorative World Finals vest sponsored by Gist Silversmiths, a CR Morrison trophy and a CR Morrison commemorative medallion.
Holmes was riding her faithful gelding, Smart Shooter. “He was really good in the rein work. I was a little late on a lead change, but he was so good in the cow work that it didn’t really matter,” she said. “The cow we drew couldn’t have been any better. He likes the running cows – the ones that no one else wants. He really loves them.”
Smart Shooter and the 14-year-old are a dynamic pair, not only in the cow horse world where they have won many titles, but also in the rodeo arena. Morgan is an accomplished roper – and with Smart Shooter, by Smart Little Pistol and out of Dial Molly Snip, won the American Quarter Horse Youth Association Heading World Championship.
Claire Edwards of Temecula, California, took the Reserve Championship and $405 in the Youth Bridle on Dun Leanin with a 429. She also received a Gist Silversmiths buckle sponsored by Knight Haulers, custom spurs from Tom Balding Bits & Spurs, Rios of Mercedes boots from Rios of Mercedes, and ESP saddle pad from Classic Equine, a commemorative World Finals vest sponsored by Gist Silversmiths, and a CR Morrison commemorative medallion. Dun Leanin is by Lean With Me and out of Dun Its Jewel.
2010 World Show (San Angelo, TX) — 02/04/2010 YOUTH BRIDLE FINALS COMPOSITE
Place Money Horse Sire Dam Rider Owner Rein Cow Total on 2
- 1 $540.00 Smart Shooter Smart Little Pistol Dial Molly Snip Holmes;Morgan Holmes;Morgan 214.5 224.0 438.5
- 2 $405.00 Dun Leanin Lean With Me Dun Its Jewel Edwards;Claire Edwards;Claire 216.0 213.0 429.0
- 3 $270.00 Smart Little Coach Little Dors Lena Misty Lee Okie Haaland;Becca Haaland;Nancy/Bill/Becca 215.5 212.5 428.0
- 4 $135.00 Ollies Playboy Playboys Remedy Ollies Treasure Jackson;Shelbey Jackson;Shelbey 215.0 208.0 423.0
- 5 $0.00 Mr Mini Macho Hollywood Macho Jac Lassie Lady Jaguar Gray;Alexis Gray;Alexis 209.0 210.0 419.0
- 6 $0.00 WC Anasazi Thunder Bueno Chex Jr Topsails Sadie Metcalf;Carter Metcalf;Carter 218.0 196.0 414.0
- 7 $0.00 Little Tivio San Smart Little Lena Little Tassa Metcalf;Carter Metcalf;Steve & Carol 216.5 194.0 410.5
- 8 $0.00 Lady Tom Tucker Senors Lil Brudder Filoli Dox Pozzi;Walker Pozzi;Morgan 203.0 202.0 405.0
- 9 $0.00 One Shiney Chic Smart Chic Olena Miss Shiney Cat Allen;Mary Aspen Meadows Ranch, Llc 202.5 193.0 395.5
The National Reined Cow Horse Association, now in its 61st year, is the governing body of cow horse competition, is responsible for promoting the sport, insuring high standards of competition and educating members and the public about the history and tradition of the cow horse. Through the support of a Corporate Partner family that includes Markel Insurance Company, Wide World of Horses, John Deere, Adequan®, Bob's Custom Saddles, Cinch, Inc., Classic Equine, Gist Silversmiths, MD Barns, Platinum Performance, Inc., Nutrena, Quarter Horse News, Fort Dodge West Nile Innovator, Rios of Mercedes, Merial products ULCERGARD and EQUIOXX, Running W Designs, and the Silver Legacy Hotel, the association works to keep the vaquero tradition alive in today’s equine industry. For information on the National Reined Cow Horse Association, call 580-759-4949 or visit the NRCHA Official Web Site at www.nrcha.com.