For the second year Morgan dressage enthusiasts can take advantage of eight $500. scholarships to be awarded by the Morgan Dressage Association. Recipients may use their awards for lessons, clinics, symposiums, or other educational endeavors.
Applicants must be MDA members and must be competing in dressage on a registered Morgan horse. Scholarships are available for serious training/first level riders as well as those competing in the more advanced levels. The application deadline is Oct. 15,
Last year's scholarship recipients featured riders competing in Training through FEI levels and included Sally Anderson of Spokane, WA, who rides Iron Forge Starman; Annette Bakic of Binghamton, NY with Fortress Initial; Meg Drew of Black Forest, CO with Creation's Grand Finalee; Johanna Hugo of New Egypt, NJ with Wintop's Allen; Barbara Richardson-Lewis of Winsboro, TX with Rogue Hill Galaxy; Nancy Rebman of Ashland, OH with Magenta Sensational Topic; Beth Sheller of Franklin, TN with Caduceus Quintanna; and Jamie Smith of Bellville, OH, who rides Moss Rose Opening Verse.
The scholarship program is funded from the proceeds of a stallion service auction held by the MDA every January. Services to beautiful and talented Morgan stallions have been donated by their generous owners; the association offers the services at one-half the advertised fees.
The services of the following stallions will provide funding for the 2003 scholarship program:
- Chief of State (The Statesman X Fleur de Lis) donated by Statesman Farm
- Dragonfire Kirin (Cedar City Penbrook X Dragonfire Chi Lin) donated by Dragonfire
- Em-Jac's Tenacity (Courage of Equinox X Ulenfield Enchantress) donated by Minglewood Farm
- Funquest Erick (Funquest Monarch X Funquest Estrella) donated by Joyce Quigley
- Homeward Mozart (UVM Elite X Homeward Minuet) donated by Gary & Linda Hopson
- Immortal Command (Waseeka's In Command X UVM Vision) donated by Rum Brook Farm
- MEMC Tequila Cuervo (Triple S Bald Eagle X Twin Pines Sara) donated by Jennifer Weske Monroe
- Primavera Valdez (Primavera Vaquero X Tia Margarita) donated by Bob & Carol Simpson
- Something Blue (HVK Santana X Rapida Es Mala) donated by Pruett & Sherrie Helm
- WH Zimbabwe (Nairobi X Lady Ann Command) donated by Valencia Creek Farm
The Morgan Dressage Association, a National Service Organization of the American Morgan Horse Association, supports the needs of horsemen and women who are training, competing, breeding and promoting Morgans in dressage. Morgans are increasingly being seen as wonderful dressage mounts, especially suited by temperament, size and athleticism for juniors and serious amateur competitors.
Among other activities, MDA publishes an annual membership directory, recognizes excellence through year-end and open competition high-score awards, produces educational articles geared to helping dressage riders with their Morgans in the sport, generates favorable publicity about Morgan dressage mounts, sponsors educational activities around the United States, produces a quarterly newsletter and sponsors an e-mail discussion list.
For more information about the association and its activities and to download scholarship guidelines and application go to www.morgandressage.org or write Morgan Dressage Association, PO Box 207, Lovettsville, VA 20180.