Calgary, AB, Canada- The $85,000 TD Cup 1.50m was held in a winning round format on Saturday at Spruce Meadows with a big win for Canada’s Kara Chad (19). Thirty entries jumped in round one, and course designer Santiago Varela saw nine clear rounds and one entry with a single time fault advance to round two for the top ten.
Kara Chad jumped to victory with the fastest of six clear trips over the second round course. She stopped the clock in a time of 45.55 seconds aboard Stone Ridge Farm’s Star la Tuiliere. Rodrigo Lambre (BRA) finished second with Mario Onate’s Charielle in 46.33 seconds. Pablo Barrios (VEN) placed third aboard ZL Group, Inc.’s Zara Leandra in a time of 47.96 seconds. The win was Chad’s first in Spruce Meadows’ famous International Ring and a memorable moment in the young rider’s career. “It is surreal,” she stated after leading the round of honor.
“My horse was so good to me. I had a few difficult distances, but she really showed herself and was able to perform for me out there. Coming out of the ring, I was ecstatic. Of course when you come out, you want to hold on to that lead and that is exactly what happened.” Chad got Star la Tuiliere, a nine-year-old Selle Francais mare (Dollar de la Pierre x Quick Star) in September of 2014. “She is a little fighter,” the rider praised.
“She is rather small, but she has all the jump and all the ability. We just moved up to our first 1.50m yesterday. She was incredible and showed so much talent, so then we decided to jump today because she is quite a quick horse and we thought she was good for the winning round. She is absolutely incredible.” When Chad says “we,” she includes Eric Lamaze, who she and her sister, Bretton, began training with just before the start of the Summer Series. They previously rode with Susie Schroer and Dick Carvin for almost 12 years. “I mean, it is Eric Lamaze, he is nothing but the best,” Chad smiled. “He just puts more of a competitive edge on everything. He is such a great trainer and I am having such a great time with him, so big thanks to Eric!”
Chad’s next stop is Europe, and she looks forward to diving into more international competition with a big win under her belt. “For sure this changes your perspective a little bit. When you see that you are able to do this, you become more competitive, and you come out of the ring wanting more,” she admitted. “Going into Europe, that is exactly what I want to do.”
Growing up in Calgary, Chad had quite the cheering section for Saturday’s competition and received many congratulations after her win. “It is pretty incredible,” she acknowledged. “The response from the riders is amazing and also the people from Spruce Meadows, for example Jon Garner (Competition Manager) and Ian Allison (Senior Vice-President Media). They were so ecstatic to see me out there and I got a big hug from both of them when I went out for the presentation. It is really nice to have a community to celebrate with.”
For a complete tournament schedule and full results, please visit www.sprucemeadows.com.
Final Results: $85,000 TD Cup 1.50m
1. $28,050 STAR LA TUILIERE Selle Francais / M / 9 Dollar de la Pierre x Quick Star KARA CHAD (CAN) CALGARY, AB Stone Ridge: 0/0/45.55
2. $17,000 CHARIELLE Oldenburg / M / 9 Chacco Blue x Argentinus RODRIGO LAMBRE (BRA) MONTERREY Mario Onate: 0/0/46.33
3. $12,750 ZARA LEANDRA Dutch Warmblood / M / 11 Metropole x Ahorn PABLO BARRIOS (VEN) WELLINGTON, FL ZL Group Inc: 0/0/47.96
4. $8,500 HEROS DE PAPIGNIES Z Zangersheide / S / 11 Heartbreaker x Ahorn Z JUAN JOSE ZENDEJAS (MEX) METEPEC Alejandro Zendejas: 1/0/49.89
5. $5,100 LILLI German Warmblood / M / 11 Lefevre x Diamir GEORGINA BLOOMBERG (USA) NEW YORK, NY Gotham Enterprizes, LLC: 0/0/54.22
6. $3,825 ATLANTIS T Dutch Warmblood / G / 10 Padinus x Guidam BRIAN MORTON (CAN) LANGLEY, BC Grafton Farm: 0/0/56.67
7. $2,550 HH CARLOS Z Zangersheide / G / 13 Chellano Z x Voltaire MCLAIN WARD (USA) BREWSTER, NY Double H Farm: 0/4/44.05
8. $2,125 ROSANA DU PARK Schwaben / M / 10 Kannan x Ukase ERIC LAMAZE (CAN) SCHOMBERG, ON Artisan Farms, LLC: 0/4/44.97
9. $1,700 PUERTAS SO WHAT Dutch Warmblood / G / 11 Quattro x Iroko JUAN PABLO GASPAR ALBANEZ (MEX) ZAPOPAN, JALISCO Felipe Gaspar: 0/4/45.21
10. $1,700 COUSCOUS VAN ORTI Belgian Sport Horse / G / 13 Unknown x Unknown SAMUEL PAROT (CHI) WELLINGTON, FL Luc Van Der Steichel: 0/8/45.64
11. $850 DUTCH AMOURETTA Dutch Warmblood / M / 10 Dutch Capitol x Wellington BRENDA RIDDELL (CAN) CALGARY, AB Silverstar Farms: 1/75.88
12. $850 STAN Hanoverian / G / 9 Stakkato x Sacramento Son JUAN MANUEL LUZARDO (URU) LA MOJONERA, ZAPOPAN Mauricio Guerra Colorado: 4/67.94