Guenter Seidel riding the 13-year-old Westphalian gelding, Nikolaus 7, scored 77.650 in the freestyle, to win the U.S. Grand Prix Freestyle Championship/U.S. League Final presented by USA Equestrian.
In the field of 8 riders, 6 declared their intent to compete for the U.S. slot at the 2003 Dressage World Cup Finals in Göteborg, Sweden, March 27 - 30. Prior to the event, Sue Blinks and Nancy Polozker announced that they did not wish to be included in the League Final.
This year, the World Cup Organizing Committee and the FEI Dressage Committee, increased the number of participants in the finals from 11 to 18. This paved the way for George Williams and Rocher, a 12-year-old Westphalian mare, the winners of the Grand Prix with a score of 70.640, to join Guenter Seidel and Nikolaus 7 and wild card participants Debbie McDonald and Brentina as U.S. representatives in the finals.
The U.S. Freestyle Championship was held in combination with the U.S. League Final for the Dressage World Cup on February 21 - 23, in conjunction with the Miami Dade Winter Dressage CDI*** held at the Tropical Park Equestrian Center in Miami, FL. For the Freestyle Championship scores were calculated with the Grand Prix being 40% and the Grand Prix Freestyle counting 60%. For the U.S. League Final, the Grand Prix scores determined the start of the Grand Prix Freestyle.
Complete Results are as follows:
1. Guenter Seidel, Del Mar, CA, riding Nikolaus 7, (Westphalian: Weinberg x Elise) owned by Richard and Jane Brown of Carlsbad, CA (Scores: GP 70.320, GPF 77.650)
2. Susan Blinks, Wellington, FL, riding Flim Flam, (Hanoverian; Wilhelm Tell I - Cilia, by Cavalier), owned by Fritz Kundrun, West Palm Beach, FL (Scores: GP 69.240, GPF 76.700) not considered for League Final
3. George Williams, Delaware, OH, riding Rocher, (Westphalian: Rolls Royce x Fraenzi) owned by Charles and Joanne Smith, Richwood, OH (Scores: GP 70.640, GPF 73.9000)
4. Cherri Reiber, Toronto, Ontario, riding G Tudor, (Dutch Warmblood: Tudor/Onyx - Colleen L xx, by Sand Pebbles) owned by Cheri Reiber, bred by B.&B. Raine, CA (Scores: GP 66.120, GPF 70.325) - not considered for League Final
5. Michael Barisone, Loxahatchee, FL, riding Safir, owned by (Danish Warmblood: Diamond x Hexa), owned by Susan Thomas of Wayzata, MN (Scores: GP 64.080, GPF 70.150)
6. Pamela Goodrich, Loxahatchee, FL, riding Melville (Danish Warmblood: May Sherif - Lady Optical) owned by Pam Goodrich (Scores: GP 64.920, GPF 68.900)
7. Susan Dutta, Wellington, FL, riding Gumshoes - DC, (Dutch Warmblood: Bez - Suzan) owned by Tim Dutta, Inc. of Wellington, FL (Scores: GP 63.760, GPF 67.250)
8. Nancy Polozker, Wellington, FL, riding Hilcodion, (Dutch Warmblood: Chronos - Cindina) owned by Nancy Polosker (Scores: GP 60.160, GPF 65.775)