Emilion SA and Kelly Casey Bring Their A-Game to Win the Five-Year-Old Championship at the 2014 Markel/USEF Young & Developing Horse Dressage National Championships

Emilion SA (Carolynn Bunch Photography)
Emilion SA (Carolynn Bunch Photography)

In the Markel/USEF Young Horse Dressage Five-Year-Old National Championships presented by HorseShow.com, Emilion SA impressed the crowds and judges to head the field. Riding in front of the experienced panel of Christel Carlson, Sandy Hotz, and Jane Weatherwax. Fifteen entries contested the Five-Year-Old Championship, for which the first 40% of their score was earned in the FEI Five-Year-Old Preliminary Test on Thursday. With the remaining 60% awarded in the Championship Class on Saturday, where combinations performed the FEI Five-Year-Old Final Test. Kelly Casey (Livermore, Calif.) entered the Championship Arena with her own Emilion SA (Painted Black x Karisa/Landwind II B) knowing that with a strong performance she could claim her first National Title. She did just that, scoring 8.720 in the Championship Class to finish on an overall total of 8.680.

The KWPN gelding impressed the judging panel on Saturday with his fabulous gaits, including his trot and canter, as he was rewarded a 9.0 for each. The gelding also received a 7.9 for the walk, an 8.7 for submission, and another 9.0 for general impression.

Patricia Becker and Edward (Carolynn Bunch Photography)
Patricia Becker and Edward (Carolynn Bunch Photography)

"He's got such a good brain. He came all the way from California and he brought is A-game, for sure," Casey said. "He's powerful, he's athletic, and he tries super hard. We didn't have mistakes. I just rode him in his comfort zone and I think the judges appreciated the way he used his body and his up-hill way of going."

Patricia Becker (Wadsworth, Ill.) and Edward (United x Jolina/Damiro) earned the Reserve Champion title in the FEI Five-Year-Old Final Test, as they finished on a score of 8.56 for Saturday, and an overall score of 8.520. Joan Pecora's KWPN gelding was awarded 8.8, 7.7, and 8.9 for the trot, walk, and canter, respectively. He earned an 8.5 for submission and an 8.8 for general impression.

Anna Marek collected third-place honors with AJ Stapleton's Elian (Sir Oldenburg x Barliane/Santano) on an overall score of 8.140. The KWPN gelding received 8.5, 8.4, and 7.8 for the trot, walk, and canter, respectively. He also was awarded 7.8 for submission and 8.2 for general impression, to finish on a score of 8.14 in Saturday's test.

Davos MCF (Don Frederico x Rosanna K/Roadster), ridden by Petra Warlimont (Hygiene, Colo.), was awarded the Highest Place U.S. Bred honor. The Hanoverian gelding finished in fourth place overall on a score of 8.160.

To learn more about the 2014 Markel/USEF Young & Developing Horse Dressage National Championships visit here.

To see scores from the 2014 Markel/USEF Young & Developing Horse Dressage National Championships visit here!

 




GET THE LATEST NEWS DELIVERED TO YOUR MAILBOX