Wellington, FL - The young horses of the 2017 Winter Equestrian Festival (WEF) got their opportunity to compete on the main stage on Friday, as the Five-Year-Old, Six-Year-Old and Seven-Year-Old Developing Jumper Classics were featured in the International Arena at the Palm Beach International Equestrian Center (PBIEC) in Wellington, FL.
Daniel Coyle also guided Ariel and Susan Grange's Khaleesi to victory in the $10,000 Gut Einhaus Five-Year-Old Developing Jumper Classic earlier in the day. The Dutch Warmblood mare (Gaillard de la Pomme x Sir Corland) was bred by W.A.M. Tilbeke and purchased as a four-year-old by Brady Hayes.
Eighteen entries showed in the class and five qualified for the jump-off. Coyle and Khaleesi jumped the faster of two double clear rounds. Their time of 41.78 seconds took top prize. Yannick Patron (FRA) rode Valhalla Equestrian Centre's Inshalla V.A. to second place in 42.69 seconds. William Hickey (USA) and Pony Lane Farm's Karlton placed third with four faults in the jump-off in 44.21 seconds.
"Brady Hayes works with us at Lothlorien, and he had this horse that he wanted to sell," Coyle detailed. "She was really nice, a good jumper, so Sue decided to buy her. The mare jumps brilliant. She is only five, so she is still a little green, but she felt really good today."
Coyle continued, "We have prepared her for this class, and she jumped phenomenal today. That is the first time I have actually asked her to jump a clear round and be a bit competitive. I am sure Sue is happy and so am I. Thanks to Brady for finding her for us."
Khaleesi showed at the start of the circuit with Keri Sutherland before Grange made the purchase and Coyle took over the reins.
"I showed her seven or eight times and she has just gotten better and better," Coyle stated. "She will get a bit of a break now and show this summer in Toronto."
Competition continues on Saturday at PBIEC featuring the $216,000 The Wanderer's Club Grand Prix CSI 4* during Saturday Night Lights, round one of the $50,000 USHJA International Hunter Derby on the Derby Field at the Equestrian Village (AGDF show grounds), and champion presentations in the Junior Hunter divisions. For full results, please visit www.PBIEC.com.
Final Results: $10,000 Gut Einhaus Five-Year-Old Developing Jumper Classic
1. KHALEESI DANIEL COYLE (IRL) ARIEL & SUSAN GRANGE: 0/0/41.78
2. INSHALLA V.A. YANNICK PATRON (FRA) VALHALLA EQUESTRIAN CENTRE LTD: 0/0/42.69
3. KARLTON WILLIAM HICKEY (USA) PONY LANE FARM: 0/4/44.21
4. LIPSTICK JENNA THOMPSON (CAN) ATTACHE STABLES: 0/4/45.53
5. HIGHLIGHT LUCIA RIVAS (BRA) BONNE CHANCE FARM LLC: 0/8/43.33
6. WILLIE SCOTT DE L'ETINCELLE Z BENJAMIN MEREDITH (AUS) TEDDY REKAI-NUTTALL: 4/68.86
7. ZINNIA Z TAYLOR FLURY (USA) ALIBOO FARM INC: 4/69.53
8. WIT & WAGER HANNAH ISOP (USA) TRACY FREELS: 4/71.79
9. MAVERICK VDL LUIS FERNANDO SAENZ (GUA) AMANDA HARRIS: 4/75.00
10. MAMBO B SENAN HAYES (USA) BLUE CHIP BLOODSTOCK: 4/75.99
11. HERCULES BRENDAN WILLIAMS (USA) NORTH STAR: 4/76.65
12. HERO TAYLOR FLURY (USA) ALIBOO FARM INC: 8/67.87