Del Mar, CA- With the first and second place finishers returning from the initial CashCall U25 Qualifier in June, Zazou Hoffman and Vani Khosla, along with two entries from Karl Cook, today's class at the Showpark Racing Festival was quite a competition. In the end, Cook and Basimodo, a nine-year-old Dutch Warmblood owned by Signe Ostby, took home the blue.
In anticipation of next month's $15,000 CashCall U25 Final, course designer Lima ensured the horses and riders met a challenging yet approachable track. The oxer at fence 9 on a bending line after the triple combination, as well as the 11ab combination on the far side of the Grand Prix Field, both proved to be trouble spots for several of the competitors.
Cook and Basimodo were first in the order and clean, followed by Martin Jimenez aboard Arturo Parada Vallejo's Mr. Blue, who had a beautiful round and left all the jumps up, but ended up with a time fault in 83.22. The only other clear round of the class was Cook and Signe Ostby's Caillou 24, but they couldn't quite beat Cook and Basimodo's time, placing second in 79.82 seconds.
"I think it's important to have a U25 class like this," said Cook. "There needs to be something that helps people going up. That's the goal - to jump bigger, and to do better in those classes - and so having a 'pipeline' like this is good for the sport."
The remaining CashCall U25 Qualifiers:
Showpark August Festival, July 29 - August 2, 2015
Showpark Summer Classic, August 19 - 23, 2015
Showpark All Seasons Summer Classic, August 26 - 30, 2015
$7,500 CashCall U25 Qualifier
Place - Entry Number - Horse - Rider - Owner - Faults/Time
1. 568 - Basimodo - Karl Cook - Signe Ostby - 0/78.42
2. 569 - Caillou 24 - Karl Cook - Signe Ostby - 0/79.82
3. 881 - Mr. Blue - Martin Jimenez - Arturo Parada Vallejo - 1/83.22
4. 146 - Billy Mexico - Vani Khosla - Vani Khosla - 4/77.38
5. 164 - Umbra 34 - Zazou Hoffman - Paris Sellon - 9/81.47
6. 201 - Chicago Lyngriis - Mitch Endicott - Mary McDonald - 10/86.61
7. 257 - Cupilor - Nick Gegen - Cross Creek Farms, Inc. - 12/76.12 8. 652 - Springfield Hill - Paige Coles - Paige Coles - 16/111.70
Visit www.showpark.com for more information.