How Is Hyaluronic Acid (H.A.) Different from Glucosamine or Chondroitin?
Glucosamine, chondroitin and hyaluronic acid (H.A.) are all related molecules, found naturally in the body. Glucosamine is an amino sugar found in the bones and bone marrow of animals and humans.
• Its main function is the formation (production) of glycosaminoglycans, such as H.A..
• It is also thought to inhibit cartilage degrading enzymes.
• Glucosamine sulfate is an over-the-counter, oral supplement. Taken orally, it combines with the body’s glucuronic acid to form HA in the joint.
glucosamine sulfate + glucuronic acid = H.A.
Chondroitin is part of the cartilage matrix.
• It inhibits enzymes that destroy cartilage in the joint.
• Chondroitin sulfate is an over-the-counter oral supplement, often used with Glucosamine sulfate to build and repair joint cartilage.
H.A. is a binding and lubricating glycosaminoglycan (GAG), found in high concentrations in the synovial fluid of all moving joints.
• It’s responsible for directly lubricating the joint by making the synovial fluid thick and slippery to provide cushion and protection against friction.
• Under gradual shear stress, H.A. acts as a lubricant. Under sudden loading, H.A. acts as an absorber.
• It also exerts an anti-inflammatory action in the joint and appears to decrease the release of enzymes that degrade joint integrity.
• With normal aging and the wear and tear of performance, natural H.A. production slows, leading to inflammation and osteoarthritis.
• Supplemental H.A. can be administered by intravenous or intramuscular injections (e.g., Legend) or can be administered daily (e.g., CONQUER® H.A. Liquid, Gel or Powder) to maintain a consistent, high level in the joint.
• Supplemental H.A., bypasses the formation step of glucosamine + glucuronic acid = H.A., and is therefore faster acting in the joint than glusosamine.
Glucosamine together and chondroitin sulfate work on the cartilage. H.A. works on the joint fluid.
• Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplements are long-term therapies, and results can take several months.
• 100% pure H.A. supplementation works relatively quickly because it by-passes the formation process required of glucosamine. Therefore, improvement can be seen in days or weeks.
CONQUER® H.A. is the first 100% pure hyaluronic (H.A.) oral treatment for the added joint stress of practice and performance in our equine partners. Used alone or in combination with a horse’s daily supplements or H.A. injections, CONQUER maintains a consistent, high level of natural H.A. in a horse’s joints, day after day.
Whether you’re getting ready for a clinic, a show or a performance – as soon as you step up your training regimen, it makes sense to prepare your horse with CONQUER H.A. Available in gel, liquid or powder, daily use of CONQUER H.A. helps protect your horse’s joints against added stress and strain.