Lexington, KY - Dressage riders kicked off the 2015 Adequan/ FEI North American Junior & Young Rider Championships presented by Gotham North (NAJYRC) with the team competition in the Rolex Stadium at the Kentucky Horse Park. The returning champions, Region 7 Young Riders, proved to be untouchable as they clinched the 2015 Young Rider Team Dressage title for a third year in a row.
Canada's Ontario Team won the Junior Team Dressage Gold medal. The Young Rider Team Division was very close this year with the Gold medalists earning a team total score of 199.658 and the Silver medalists, Region 3, earning a 199.369 team score. "It was super close, so kudos to the Silver medal team for really giving us a run for it. It was exciting and nerve wracking," said Catherine Chamberlain of the Region 7 Young Rider Team.
The Region 7 Gold medal winning Young Rider team earned a total of 199.658:
- Catherine Chamberlain (20, Murrieta, Calif.) and Avesto Van Weltevreden 67.395%
- Lindsey Brewin (17, San Ramon, Calif.) and Vaillant 66.395%
- Cassidy Gallman (20, Poway, Calif.) and Grand Makana 66.053%
- Samantha Jenney (19, Gilroy, Calif.) and Domino 64.158%
Gallman noted, "For [Catherine Chamberlain], and I, it's our last year. I just wanted to do right by my horse and my teammates. Just to be with these girls is amazing." Brewin agreed that the team aspect of the competition contributed to their success: "All of the support from all of the other riders really helped each of us perform our best, even if we didn't have the best tests today." Chamberlain said, "The best part about this year for us is that it was a real team effort. We all had a few mistakes so we really had to pull together as a team to pull it off, and I think that was really special."
The Silver medal for Young Riders went to Region 3 with a total of 199.369:
- Natalie Pai (18, Wellington, Fla.) and Fritz San Tino 69.184%
- Mallory Kent (17, Birmingham, Ala.) and Okidokie 62.632%
- Lindsey Holleger (19, Tallahassee, Fla.) and Friedensfurst 67.553%
- Rebecca Roman (20, Birmingham, Ala.) and Ultimo 60.947%
Canada's Alberta/British Columbia team won the Bronze medal for Young Riders with a total of 198.105:
- Hannah Beaulieu (19, Maple Ridge, B.C.) and Cortison 68.368%
- Rakeya Moussa (18, Edmonton, Alta.) and Merlin Nemorensis 68.395%
- Elexis Ortlieb (18, Leduc County, Alta.) and Diego 61.342%
Canada's Ontario Team won the Gold medal for FEI Juniors with a total of 200.92:
- Alexandra Meghji (17, Toronto, Ont.) and Iliado II 67.730%
- Vanessa Creech-Terauds (15, Caistor Centre, Ont.) and Denzel BC 67.514%
- Yanina Woywitka (15, Merrickville, Ont.) and Rheirattack 65.676%
- Georgia Wade (16, Fonthill, Ont.) and Beaumont 64.00
Ontario's anchor rider, Alexandra Meghji, said, "We're so lucky to be at this amazing championship at this amazing venue with all of these other girls from across North America who share the same passion for horses that we have. For all of us winning the Gold medal today is just the icing on the cake of an amazing day." Creech added, "We are all extremely happy and proud of our rides today, especially because we are such a close team. We definitely support each other, and we have so much support from grooms and owners and Equine Canada members and sponsors - everybody that makes this possible. It's so amazing. We are all so extremely grateful and happy."
Region 7 Juniors won the Silver medal for FEI Juniors with a total of 198.163:
- Veronica West (15, Marina del Ray, Calif.) and Nobleman 68.676%
- Shelby Rocereto (17, Livermore, Calif.) and Chapeau 64.973%
- Brianna Relucio (16, San Ramon, Calif) and Wynsum 64.514%
- Mia Slaughter (16, Norco, Calif.) and Harrington L 60.514%
The Junior Team of Region 9 won the Bronze medal with a total of 197.379:
- Chloe Taylor (17, Los Angeles, Calif.) and Calecto V 68.162%
- Madison Lacy (14, Waco, Texas) and Flintstone 64.649%
- Bronwyn Cordiak (17, Argyle, Texas) and Dschingis Blue 64.568%
- Allison Hopkins (17, Dallas, Texas) and Windsor 61.514%
For full results or to learn more about the Adequan/FEI North American Junior & Young Rider Championships presented by Gotham North, please visit www.youngriders.org.