Amarillo, Texas - July 30, 2002 - Out of all of the entries received emerged 20 finalists for the American Quarter Horse Association's MD Barns Silver Spur Award. After reviewing the entries and narrowing down the top twenty, AQHA is turning the judging over to three members of AQHA's Team Wrangler who will determine the top five finalists.
Members of Team Wrangler will examine the entries at the AQHYA World Championship Show in Fort Worth, Texas. After the judges choose the top five finalists, the horses and their stories will be placed on AQHA's Web site. The five finalists will go online August 15. AQHA Members who have a PIN Number are encouraged to log on and cast their vote for their favorite. The winner and first and second runners-up will be announced, as decided by AQHA's membership, at the 2002 AQHA World Championship Show, November 22, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
The MD Barns Silver Spur Award honors those American Quarter Horses who have made a significant impact in the lives of others or who have been cast into the public spotlight through prominent accomplishments to help create a favorable public perception of the breed. Those nominated must be a registered American Quarter Horse and must have enriched the life of a human being(s) through outstanding training, contribution or accomplishment.
The top 20 finalists are:
* Rio Dolly Brown owned by Billy and Pam Minick of Roanoke, Texas
* Docacoo owned by Skip and Sarah Gentry of West Salem, Ohio
* Heza Exculsive Man owned by Jerry and Glenda Long of Capitan, New Mexico
* King Noche owned by Sharon Howard and Harrison Cribbs of Weirsdale, FL
* Night Capade Lady owned by D'Arcy and Robert Vollbracht of Bullhead City, Arizona
* Buck Deck Twist owned by the Hal Bogle Estate of Dexter New Mexico
* Doc By Bailey owned by Karmin Wilson of Apalachicola, Florida
* Jepps Poco Bar owned by Traci Robinson of Alcoa, Tennessee
* Docs Major Star owned by Linda Northrup-Keeter of Sandy, Oregon
* Yawl Special owned by Barbara Bauer of Durand, Wisconsin
* Decks Ambition owned by Aleatha Martin of Fairbanks, Alaska
* Codys Mean Machine owned by High Hopes Therapeutic Riding Inc. of Old Lyme, Connecticut
* Bonanza Legs owned by Rainbow Farms of Vicksburg, Mississippi
* Peppy Cayenne Chex owned by Honey Cowan of Auburn, California
* Jets A Go Go owned by Helen Clements of San Angelo, Texas
* Silver Bullet Time owned by Melody Ann Duncan of Alvin, Texas
* Here Come the Bull owned by Delbert Berg of Vacaville, California
* CSH Strawberry Jamm owned by Amanda Matthews of Monroe, North Carolina
* Sals Sunday Man owned by Stephanie Held of Amarillo, Texas
* Stars Parr Money owned by Oklahoma State University of Stillwater, Oklahoma
MD Enterprises, Inc., manufacturer of MD Barns and Buildings, is America's leader in pre-engineered barnsTM. An AQHA-corporate partner since 1998, MD Barns produces the official barn of AQHA and is the industry's leader in design, manufacturing and installation of pre-engineered barns, stables, out buildings, corral systems and accessories. MD Barns and buildings are attractive and innovative and of the highest quality. With more than 25 years of satisfying more than 100,000 national and international customers, MD Barns facilities and their state-of-the art equipment will continue to guarantee the highest quality of workmanship as each component used is built in their own plant. They have produced many large commercial and track projects. MD Barns sponsors the AQHA World Championship Show and the AQHYA World Championship Show.
For more information about the MD Barns Silver Spur Award, please contact AQHA at (806) 376-4811.