Thousand Oaks, CA - On June 27, 2010 the USEF Para-Equestrian Dressage National Championship and the USEF Para-Dressage Selection Trials for the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games™ concluded. Riders then headed home as they waited in anticipation to hear who would be selected for the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games™.
The Para-Dressage team will be lead by Chef d'Equipe Missy Ransehousen whose international experience on and off a horse will be an outstanding resource for the Para-Dressage riders. Selectors of the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games™ Para-Dressage Team are Laura Sheer, Lynn Seidemann, David Schmutz and Sandy Raferty.
2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games™ USEF Para-Dressage Team Nominated Entry:
- Rebecca Hart/25/Erie, PA/Kazan/18/Dutch Warmblood/Gelding/Kerri Sowers
- Robin Brueckmann/52/Summerfield, NC/Raison D'Etre/12/American Warmblood/Gelding/Elly Schobel
- Laura Goldman/65/Highland Heights, OH/Calingford JD/11/Irish Sport Horse/Gelding/Trudy Phillips
- Susan Treabess/33/Winters, CA/Moneypenny/16/Dutch Warmblood/Mare/Katy Peterson
- Holly Bergay/17/Castle Rock, CO/Grand Ballerina/16/Oldenburg/Mare/Robin Garrett
- Jonathan Wentz/19/Richardson, TX/NTEC Richter Scale/16/Shire Cross/Gelding/Kai Handt
- Wendy Fryke/45/Parker, CO/Lateran/13/Westphalian/Stallion/Polly Limond
- Jennifer J. Baker/46/Loveland, OH/Duel/16/Rhinelander/Gelding/University of Findlay
- Mary Jordan/44/Wells, ME/Paxton Abbey/12/Hanoverian/Mare/Mary Jordan
- Kim Decker/42/Centreville, VA/Dashers Destiny/16/Hanoverian/Gelding/Paul Decker
- Erin Alberda/30/Woodinville, WA/Delectari/12/Swedish Warmblood/Gelding/Erin Alberda
- Kathy Groves/49/Columbus, NC/Friespruch/ 16/Westphalian/Gelding/Kathryn Groves
- Barbara Grassmyer/38/Placerville, CA/Mibis/16/Dutch Warmblood/Mare/Barbara Grassmyer
- Kim Jones/43/Georgetown, SC/Fascination/Dutch Warmblood
- Elizabeth Pigott/24/Downingtown, PA/Mr. Darcy/Dutch Warmblood
Of these 15 nominated riders 10 will be submitted for Definite Entry on September 30, 2010. The entire team is thankful for everyone that has been involved with Para-Dressage Team's journey. Without the sponsors, equestrian enthusiasts, coaches, horses, and everyone else involved, this road to the games may have been much more difficult.
Mary Jordan noted, "For me this journey started more than a year ago and it has spanned two continents (spanning from Seattle to Norway!), two coastlines, multiple horses, multiple languages, a new car engine, transmission and many miles by moped, truck, trailer and plane not to mention all kinds of weather. It is not often as a rider that you get this type of opportunity and it is not often as a Multiple Sclerosis patient you even dream of this opportunity of riding at an international level. Lastly, it certainly is not often that you get to ride the horse that was born in your lap at the World Games!"
The Para-Dressage competition for the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games™ at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, KY begins on October 5, 2010. Riders will compete on a world-stage in front of international judges, following FEI rules, and top international competition in the Covered Arena. The Individual Team Test will commence on October 5, 2010 and riders will compete with their horses for six days ending with the Individual Freestyle Test on October 10, 2010.
About the United States Para-Equestrian Association:
The USPEA includes every equestrian discipline that is practiced by athletes with physical disabilities. Each rider or driver competes under the eighth discipline, The Para-Equestrian discipline, of the United States Equestrian Federation. This year, at the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games™, the Para-Equestrian discipline will make history. The USEF High Performance Para-Equestrian Dressage team will compete as an FEI sport for the first time at the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games™ held in Lexington, KY.
The USPEA provides programs, clinics, and competition opportunities for athletes with physical disabilities. Riders compete under the USEF rules during their national competitions and FEI rules during international competition and many of the athletes compete at the highest level of their sport.
For more information about the USPEA or for donation opportunities, please contact Hope Hand, President of the USPEA, email Wheeler966@aol.com or by phone: (610)356-6481.
To view online information about the USPEA please visit http://www.USPEA.org.
Photo Credit: Mary Jordan and Paxton Abbey at USEF Para-Dressage Selection Trials for 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games™ © 2010 Lindsay McCall/PMG.